New way to install frost-free faucets

I had a frost-free faucet installed on a deck this week. The home owner was with me so I mentioned the strong possibility of the line freezing as this installation will defeat the purpose of the “frost-free” application. She told me that the plumber had explained to her that he installed the faucet on a garden hose so that it can expand and contract when the pipes freeze and thaw. Hmmm… I never thought of installing it that way. Very creative. :mrgreen: You can see the garden hose attached near the water softener in this picture.

My garden hose became a soaker hose overnight after I forgot to drain it before a frost. Plumber musta been a temporary foreign worker, from Florida or California :slight_smile:

Tripping over well pumps and pipes while working on an electrical panel would not turn me on also. :wink:

It’s funny, Marcel, the plumber had recently come in and supposedly replaced the yellow pump but the severe corrosion at the fittings revealed that the pump hadn’t been touched in many years. Also, I found 4 separate puddles on the floor which apparently hadn’t been there before the plumber showed up. I deal with this plumber’s creative plumbing on a regular basis. I don’t know how these things pass inspection by our municipal inspectors.

What are the yellow and blue pump for?

The only time I see this type of set up is for pulling water from a lake to water the grass.

If either one is domestic water it must be from a well less than 25 feet deep.

You are correct. This is a rural property so the yellow pump is for a septic system and the blue pump is for a well. These are also needed for homes with their own cistern. Some of the places I go are built on rock and so the entire city’s water supply is provided by local wells because water is so abundant between the rock layers. They actually have to haul in top soil if they want to have a garden.