Its not always a defect

Check out figure 27 on page 18

This was brought to my attention Kenny Hart.

But wouldn’t that be based on whichever state code?

Of course. Many codes say or listed and approved…insert variable.

Fellas, the unit shown is a fan assisted draft.

Yes, that is clear in the link.

And your point is? That is a direct vent fan assisted unit.

Mechanical devices fail.
Sorry…I would call it out.

Example: AAV not allowed here for that very reason.

Suppose one could ask will flue gases will still be contained from the interior if the fan goes out as an argument however.

Bob, that is a big if for something that has been engineered and tested.

Power vents have been around for some time now.

**[FONT=Helvetica-Bold][size=3]Flexible Venting Options
**[/size][/FONT][FONT=Helvetica][size=4]• [/size][/FONT][FONT=Helvetica][size=1]Long venting lengths up to 100 feet
[/size][/FONT][FONT=Helvetica][size=4]• [/size][/FONT][FONT=Helvetica][size=1]PVC, ABS, or CPVC vent pipe options
[/size][/FONT][FONT=Helvetica][size=4]• [/size][/FONT][FONT=Helvetica][size=1]Vertical or horizontal termination[/size][/FONT]
[FONT=Helvetica][size=1]http://www.foxwater.com/includes/PowerVent.pdf[/size][/FONT]

If it meets all manufactures installation recommendations, it is fine. :):smiley:
[FONT=Helvetica][size=1]
[/size][/FONT]

So now that you know this particular manufacturer allows this installation. How would word it in your report that you don’t like it? I’m just curious.

You call out all induced draft furnaces too then? They won’t draft properly via convection regardless of which way the vent is directed. I suppose that you also call out all direct vent appliances that depend on a fan to obtain combustion air?

Induced draft appliances have barometric sensors to ensure that the draft induction fan is functioning prior to initiating the ignition cycle.

How does calling an entire class of UL listed appliances defective serve your client’s interest?

So have ventless fireplaces.
Can I buy one in Canada ?

If it is OK by them is that all manufacturers of power vents for water heaters or just them.
Just like with dishwashers drain hoses being elevated up to rim vs built in gap I do not know unless I am going to take the time to research every single appliance.

I would either be verbal and express my reservations with logic behind it or also make sure (doubly sure) they have a good working carbon monoxide detector,makeup air that meets or exceded code requirements and triple check vent install/termination-exit/location,etc.