Lead Service Pipe Narrative

Anyone have a good narrative for lead service piping? Internachi narratives doesn’t address lead pipes. Thanks

Lead water supply lines was still in use. Recommend replacement. More information on lead can be found here by clicking on this link, http://water.epa.gov/drink/info/lead/lead1.cfm

1 Like

Lead water service main incoming line noted. Lead can be hazardous to your health. Safety concern Recommend having water quality tested and system evaluated by a qualified contractor. In the meantime it is recommended that water be run for a few minutes before using.

How do you know its lead?

This post is quite old (2016 / now 2023). I came by looking for a narrative on this as it is somehow STILL not included in the InterNachi narratives. How is this possible? I have my own narrative for it which is more extensive than anything suggested here, but was curious what others might say.

“How do you know its lead?”

By the ball connection in the second photo, scratching the pipe and finding it to be soft and gray-silver as in the third photo, and it will also not be magnetic (although only steel is so that is only so helpful).

Plumbing: Pipe entering the building. Lead.
Main domestic water supply pipe material entering the building is lead. (Red Flag item)

I keep it very simple.

Water supply pipe material was visually consistent with lead. Lead water pipe is a known health hazard and should be replaced by a qualified plumbing contractor. Testing this material or the water is outside our standard of practice.

I also provide a link: Basic Information about Lead in Drinking Water | US EPA

2 Likes