LP Gas Line Clearance?

Inspected this home today with a Lp vent free fireplace in the lower lever of a split level home. The LP connection(copper) comes from a tank on the back patio through the brick fireplace to a shut-off. My question is the Stainless gas line to close to the open flame. I can’t find any thing that states this, except for me it’s too close for comfort!! 1-1/2 inches??

Thanks in advance!

Chris

That fireplace MUST be vented.

That looks homemade. Any gas fireplace usually has a valve and a thermopile. That looks like a big hazard to me. You should refer that for sure.

Valve inside the firebox too how are supposed to shut that off put your hand inside the firebox in an emergency yikes

Thanks Jeff & Jeff… The fire place does have a damper, so it could be vented. I have seen non-vented natural gas fireplaces, but it LP not allowed to be non-vented Jeff P? I does have a pilot and thermocouple, It’s just too close of a connection for my liking. It has been this way for 6yrs, not that it’s correct!!

Chris

Amazing what people do

03 IRC G2420.5.1 (409.5.1)

As for the gas piping, eventually somewhere on the gas pipe flame has to come out???
Gas won’t burn or explode without air in the pipe. :mrgreen:

The damper in the fireplace should either have a knockout, or a mechanical damper stop so you can not fully close the damper.

I would have not put the shutoff valve there not the best location

I just don’t think that it is the best installation

That is all well and good Jeffery, but it is allowed if the manufacturer says it is ok. :smiley:

Was there a damper stop Chris?

And did you recommend a CO detector in the home? :smiley:

Yeah I know I just think common sense would tell you different

Hi Brian… The damper was functional, however did not have a stop. I recommended that it be opened when the fireplace is operational. I think the picture is deceiving. The copper comes through the brick to the stainless- it turns up and very close to the flame and then back down and around the back of the logs to the thermocouple(far left side of logs). I just thought it should come in and turn down, and not be so close to the open flame when the fireplace was on! Did it appear that the flame in the pic was the pilot?

Fuel burning appliances create carbon monoxide. If they are not sealed and not vented, they are hazardous - even the “listed” un-vented fireplaces.

Read the warning labels on the un-vented fireplace systems. Most caution that the windows should be left open during operation - except for the sealed systems.

That silver thing is an LP Gas “Super-heater” device!
It makes things burn better! ;-0

To who? It’s legal!

Yup! That’s what THEY say!

Those are the rules, but LP is heavier than air. How is it going to vent up the flue?

But why? The stupid Mfg says it’s okey-dokey!?

Bottom line…

I think they should be outlawed! LP is a saturated vapor one step from a liquid. It is heavier than air and does not mix well with air (as in dilution). You won’t find that stuff in my house.

From the first manufacturer I googled David. :twisted:

And when ignited what is left of the LP is lighter than air and does not produce much smoke to let you know you did not open the damper. Makes one very sleeeeeeepy.

Yea Really!

You, David, are KILLING me. :mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen:

Maybe I should expound on my statement! :slight_smile:

Not that they don’t recommend co detectors…

These gas log fireplace Mfg (ventless) seem to think it is ok not to vent the appliance because they have co safeties and their equipment burns so nice and clean it doesn’t need to be vented.

Not!
We are burning a fossil fuel. Houses are tighter than ever and there is not an IAQ concern here?

Thanks, Jeff, David and Brian- The instructions on these types of fireplaces are clear, can be non-vented, however it’s recommended that a window be open or dilution air be provided. I don’t know how the couple who lived there did not vent it. The smell this fireplace put off was terrible. The owner said it was only when you first turned it on! sure-- Is LP less “safe” than non-vented natural gas due to the how is mixes with air(lighter-heavier).

Yes. A propane leak will sit or pool on the floor or other low spots. A natural gas leak has a good chance of going up the chimney.