How many call this out as a significant issue?

Anybody see a concern?

021111 101.JPG

No cement, No clean out

There is cement. This particular photo is not a clean-out issue. You are very close, however.

I hope the guy drops a wedding ring down the sink. Should have fun tearing it all out and starting over.

2009 IRC P3003.14.2 Solvent cementing. Joint surfaces shall be clean
and free from moisture. A purple primer that conforms to
ASTM F 656 shall be applied
. Solvent cement not purple in
color and conforming to ASTM D 2564, CSA B137.3 or CSA
B181.2 shall be applied to all joint surfaces. The joint shall be
made while the cement is wet, and shall be in accordance with
ASTMD2855. Solvent-cement joints shall be permitted above
or below ground.

**Code Commentary: **PVC plastic pipe requires a primer
prior to solvent cementing. Although ASTM F 656 only recommends that
PVC primer be purple, this is a code requirement. The
purple coloring is intended to allow the installer and the
inspector to verify that the required primer has been
applied. To distinguish the difference between primer
and solvent cement, the solvent cement must be a
color other than purple. Solvent cement for PVC is typically
clear. First, primer is applied to both the fitting
socket and the pipe. The PVC solvent cement is then
applied to the pipe and socket fitting. The joint is made
with a slight twisting until the pipe reaches the full
depth of the socket fitting. It is then held in place until
the solvent cement begins to set. The installer in these
figures is wearing impervious gloves to prevent solvent
cement from coming into contact with the skin.
The solvent-cementing procedure must be done in accordance
with the referenced standard.

Thats why I didn’t think there was cement, to clean but I guess they just didn’t use primer.

The entire house was like that. I see it a lot.

Was it a boom house?

They used Oatey clear primer. Good for PVC and CPVC so there is no need to carry more than one type. Look at the lettering on the pipe. It is smeared like someone used a primer.

http://oatey.com/Plumber/Shared/ProductGroupDetail/801/Industrial+Grade+Clear+Primer.html

Stephen, please re-read the code.

(19) Amend sections P2905.9.13 of the International Residential Code 2009 by replacing said
section with the following language:
Section P2905.9.1.3 PVC Plastic pipe. A primer that conforms to ASTM F 656 shall be applied
to PVC solvent cemented joints. Solvent cement for PVC plastic pipe conforming to ASTM D
2564 shall be applied to all joint surfaces.
(20) Amend sections P3003.9.2, and P3003.14.2 of the International Residential Code 2009 by
replacing said sections with the following language:
Solvent cementing. Joint surfaces shall be clean and free from moisture. A primer that conforms
to ASTM F 656 shall be applied. Solvent cement not purple in color and conforming to ASTM D
2564 or CSA CAN/CSA-B137.3, CSA CAN/CSA-B181.2 or CSA CAN/CSA-B182 shall be
applied to all joint surfaces. The joint shall be made while the cement is wet and shall be in
accordance with ASTM 2855. Solvent-cement joints shall be permitted above or below ground.

Not sure what you are getting at Robert. The primer is supposed to be purple and the cement is supposed to be not-purple.

Oh I highlighted the wrong section but it seems they amended the part that read the primer has to be purple.

Perhaps your state did. I posted the International Residential Code, 2009, above.

We are not code inspectors. I would inform the client that there is no cleanout, or way to take the fitings apart without cutting it out.

Maybe the installer was very careful when applying the primer. Or, like I do, maybe he taped off the rest of the pipe so it has a neat appearance when finished.

Personally, I don’t like the purple primer. It is not the easiest thing to get off your hands!

Or, he used this:
Primer

This does not appear to be a factory made trap, making your own site built traps from standard fittings is not acceptable. If I am not correct on this point then as long as the fittings are tight and leak free, there is nothing to report as far as visually observable non performance.

You guys have way too much time on your hands.

We are not code inspectors, and the way the amendment reads, the primer need not be purple. So what…

Report a CONCERN that primer may have not been used, as Inspector sees no visible evidence of its application, though a clear product may be present. End it there.

A clean out is not required at a trap.

There is nothing prohibiting a field-fitted and glued trap assembly. The trap’s primary intent is to provide a water barrier preventing the entry of sewer gasses into the dwelling. There is nothing requiring it to be screwed together or manufactured as a kit. The DESIGN simply needs to conform.

If the AHJ approved the installation, then we are done. We can only raise a concern, but do not have the authority to determine anything as a code violation, unless and until we are the actual AHJ for that particular municipality, and more importantly being the AHJ that inspected that particular house.

Good catch, though, Joe. And, I agree that 95% of the time, the primer is purple. I’d have also raised it as a concern.

Let’s also not forget that we are dealing with SOLVENT cement with PVC and a fair application to both fittings typically ensures a good seal, even when primer is not applied. Primer merely CLEANS the plastic, and little more. It melts away with the application of the solvent cement.

IF you have time for about a dozen good chuckles, read this discussion…

http://www.masterplumbers.net.au/forums/printer_friendly_posts.asp?TID=2318

Those plumbers are almost as nasty as some of the people here :wink: