New residential fire sprinklers

Does anyone know if the new code for 2010 will include residential fire sprinklers? If so is there any place for training on inspection and installation of this system?

2010 does include residential. Local ordinances may affect actual implementation. Publication NFPA 13R covers the installation and maintenance of residential sprinkler systems.

Which code?

Russell,
If you are looking for information on sprinkler systems for your own information, try NFPA 13 (Installation of Sprinkler Systems), 13R (sprinkler Systems for Residential Dwellings up to 4 Stories in Height), 13D (Sprinkler Systems for One and Two Family Dwellings), 25 (Inspection of Water-Based Fire Protection Systems), and 101 (Life Safety Code) for additional requirements or exceptions for different occupancies. For training, try NFPA.
On the other hand, if you are looking to add sprinkler system inspection to your services, I would suggest that you recommend to your clients with homes having sprinkler systems that they be evaluated by a qualified and licensed company.

Russell, I believe you are referring to the code change in the International Residential Code (IRC) requiring residential fire sprinklers in one and two family homes. This requirement is actually included in the 2009 edition of the IRC, but the requirement does not take effect until January 1, 2011. This was done to allow a ramp up period for the affected parties to prepare. For more information on this code change see the “Residential Fire Sprinklers Market Growth and Labor Demand Analysis”.

Regarding training, there are a number of places where training is available. AFSA and NFSA have some great training programs if you can fit into their schedule, but if you are training more than three people at the same time or need a more customized program, I would highly recommend the private training services of Fire Smarts, LLC. Their Faculty team of industry experts provide private and personalized training. In full disclosure, I am affiliated with Fire Smarts. To see a list of training topics available visit Fire Sprinkler Training.