Pipeline cameras?

I am thinking about buying a pipeline camera and I am asking for any info others may have.
Thanx,
Todd

I have a Spartan (150 capability) that I offer at all inspections. Few people want to have it used. Has killed a few and won a few sales. If you use them to do local town lines make sure you get E&O ins. I only do residential.

How much did it cost and what do you charge to do it?

I would steer clear of that unless I was a licensed plumber. Ask a plumber and he will most likely tell you that the best way to test for sanitary line leaks is to perform a hydrostatic test.

Cameras are used in this area for a lot more than sanitary leaks. I have had past calls to scope out A/C ducts embedded in the slabs especially where the water table was high. I have considered buying a camera myself just for the ducts but changed my mind when I saw the price. I went to the ridge tool company web site and looked at the prices don’t remember now what they were asking but It was more than I was willing to pay for the possible return.

I would think it is kinda like those that told me Suretests are exceeding the SOP and I should not teach about them. Same could go for Thermal Imaging as well…anything that exceeds the visual is subject to this verbage.

Personally i am all for technology… I say bring on the Thermals, the camera’s and more testing devices…:slight_smile: but then again thats just me.

I bought mine used for $5000 and I charge $60/hr. usually finish in 1 hr. but you’d be suprised as to what you can find. Even chased a frog though the line once. That job turned into a $1500 job.

1 other guy around here “Septic cleaning co.” charges $120/hr for res. But he has all the towns locked up at $175/hr. I always wanted 1 so I bought it. “Boy’s and their toys”

We have one plumbing co here with a camera and they charge $200/ per hour. The difference between a boy and a man is the price of his toys.:slight_smile: :slight_smile:

I sure would like one of those toys though. I would have to sell a horse to do it. I hate that.
</IMG></IMG>

Camera’s are a great asset to a plumber. One thing to remember if you are thinking about getting one is that sometimes access is not an easy thing. Sometimes there is no access and one has to be cut in. Other times the brass or cast iron plug has to be cut out it the fire trick does not work.

I am not a plumber and don’t want to be made that decision in 1973 don’t like to play in crap???

My area has a tremendous amount of slab foundations with the A/C ducts embedded. A camera can be very useful as these ducts have been known to collapse, get water in them, fill up with sand you name it can happen.

I live near a oil refinery the smell is terrible but the money is great folks moving in and out on a regular basis. The re-lo company pays for the inspection and it does not matter to what the extent or price is charged for an inspection within reason. They are mainly concerned that they don’t have to place a home in their inventory that has extreme problems. If I was offering a scope check on the ducts would more than likely more than pay for a camera. Just have not purchased one yet* procrastination.*

Depending on the main trunk size, you may not be able to push the camera though very far. Anything over 10" and the camera may just turn around 10’ down the line. Going down each register should not be a problem though.

That’s the way they do it here start at each register and go back toward the plenum

CCTV camera - One the island I live most homes have their own individual septic tanks - one company would do the cleaning, meaning the pump out of the tank. Another company does the camera inspection of the leach field, or drain pipes or whatever you want to call those pipes.
The camera inspection typicaly charges a flat $350 (it evens out those jobs that require more work and others - it also markets better as flat fee - much better than a little more to budget than a depends on.blah blah …open your purse wider feeling))- in most cases he is not longer than an hour on the job -
you also need more than just the camera - also need sensor to pick up above gound where the camera enters the distribution box - else you will be digging up half the back lawn to find the distribution box -this guy is busy and dont just do one a day ! i also want to get this equipment - but I’m not a plumber nor do I have the ‘masters degree’ of courses required to say the obvious to the client.
redhawkreports@yahoo.com

there are many sizes available at different price points.
https://www.ridgid.com/us/en/reels-and-cameras

1 Like