Plumbing problem?

Hi guys -

I’m in the process of closing (my inspection period just started) on a foreclosure. 1969, one story, three bed/bath, 1700 sqft home in Florida. Had the water turned on yesterday and noted modest (sufficient) flow from all of the faucets - with the exception of one bathroom sink. This faucet (cold side - hot water heater is turned off…) started out with good flow but shortly became a rather weak flow (almost a trickle but not that bad…).

So, I’m hoping that this doesn’t indicate major costly repairs down the road…

The second picture I believe is of that sink’s supply. The first picture I recall to be another bathroom, and the third picture yet another bathroom sink (to my best recollection as I took the pics a while ago). It appears as that particular sink is galvanized piping supply (as does another sink - with the third maybe copper?)

I am aware that internal corrosion might be a cause if it is galvanized.

My question/s is/are:

**What might be causing this?

If it is internal pipe corrosion - what are the remedies and associated ball-park costs to fix?

Should I call a plumber to evaluate this with some type of specialized equipment?**

I’m on a tight budget and don’t want to lose my shirt.

Thank you so much for your time and any ideas you may have -

Andy

063 (Copy).JPG

061 (Copy).JPG

073 (Copy).JPG

If it is your own place I have corrected flow issues by hitting the pipes and knocking the deposits loose.
Just remove the aerators first and run the water as you do it.

Some use a water pump to backwash it,but bear in mind there is a small risk of rupture.

Remove and clean the aerator, there are probably rust flakes blocking it. I wouldn’t encourage you to break more loose by banging on pipes. Once the aerator is off, plug the sink and flush water through until it runs clear with no flakes.

If the problem occurs again you may want to remove the flow restrictor-if there is one-from the aerator assembly. It is the small metal disk with one hole in the center.

Ok - thanks for that input guys.

It seems you two aren’t thinking that I am looking at major costs to replace plumbing then…? If so that’s encouraging.

I’ll try the methods you suggest -

If it is galvanized pipe, and it appears to be, the the rust will continue to get worse until the pipe fails. In the meantime, it will continue to glog the aerators as well as the fixtures. In most instances, when the home was plumbed with galvanized pipe, it is recommended that replacement be done. It may also be a requirement from your insurance company, as you are in Florida and you may have to get a four-point inspection done.
Attached are pictures from our main feed line to the home, which was galvanized.

Yikes Eric - that’s pretty bad. I’m guessing that’s the case with the line/s in this house as well. Went out there last night and discovered toilets, shower were having same problem.

When they fixed yours, did they just do the line to the street or the pipes in the home as well?

And, any suggestions on how much it will cost to have a plumber come test/diagnose?

A friend suggested I call and say I would like a bid to replace a line…

When I replaced my line, it was just the piece shown. Although the line from the meter, for a bout six feet, and the line at the shut off, again, about six feet, were copper, the line pictured was approximately 25 feet of galvanized. It appears the builder did that to all of the homes in my neighborhood.

As for the rest of our house, it is copper. If the whole home is galvanized, I wold get estimates to replace all of the plumbing in the home. That can be anywhere from 4K on up depending on size and access. The estimate should include replacement of all the walls that will be damaged as well. Sometimes you get lucky and can get most of the pipes through the attic, then just the drops to the bathrooms, which on older homes, were usually near each other.

When they re-plumbed our 2,400 sqft townhome which had poly, it took a week and probably cost at least 8K.

Oh, that’s not good news at all. These bathrooms aren’t that near and I didn’t notice the pipes in the attic. I can’t do 8000 - No bueno.

Appreciate it

Again, get three price quotes. Also, check with your insurance carrier. You may have to change the pipes regardless.