plumbing

I have learned a lot on this course.:slight_smile:

Thats good, NACHI has alot of great and informative courses available.

What is the best way to approach polybutylene plumbing and its known defects to the client and also in the inspection report when the plumbing is all functioning normally at the time of the home inspection?

The presence of polybutylene plumbing. This type of piping has a known history of problems with defective connections and the pipe splitting. During the inspection we did not see any problems with the polybutylene plumbing that was visible, but was unable to view all piping.

Or…I don’t like this one its kinda alarmest…

“Polybutylene (PB) plumbing supply lines are installed in this dwelling. PB was used as water distribution piping in many homes built from the mid 1980’s until the mid 1990’s. The piping and associated fittings have had a failure rate and subsequent leakage sufficient to have been the subject of several nationwide class action lawsuits. Copper and brass fittings used in later years seem to have reduced the failure rate, but the piping may still fail due to problems with poor installation, improper handling, or chemical reaction with the water supply. The class action suits have expired and there is no longer any monetary relief for homeowners that experience a Polybutylene piping failure. For more information about PB, please do your own research and/or rely on the evaluation and advice of a licensed plumbing contractor prior to the close of escrow or within the contingency period. You may wish to have the plumbing system evaluated by a licensed plumbing contractor.”

Good Answer!

I have more.