Plumbing statement review

Happy 4th to all…

Im working on a new statement for my reports for older buildings. Please look over this and pick it apart. Thanks

(Plumbing pipes and/or connections of the buildings plumbing system indicated areas with poor layout and/or design of the plumbing systems. Indication of multiple repairs/alteration over the years. You should employ a licensed plumbing contractor to inspect the layout and design, distribution, efficiency of all plumbing within the building. Correct the layout of supply/check all venting pipes/check all drain pipes. Due to the age of the building with indication of alteration/additional plumbing over the years you should have the
core of the galvanized pipes check for corrosion).

Best

Ron

Too wordy.
Is this too assist or just a legal statement ?

If you see a problem, cite it specifically. If you see lots off issues, cite all you see and then do a general referral.

If there is something wrong with the “layout” say what it is.

If I see galvanized, I have a specific comment for that. There is no need to check the interior of the pipes. Just state the problem with them, state they are probably old, and that you don’t endorse them.

Thanks Big help.

The sub-area plumbing look like spaghetti… just going in every direction.

Best

Ron

I’ve used this a few times with older plumbing.

Health or safety hazard exists because of an existing plumbing installation or lack thereof. Installation of additional plumbing or making such corrections may be necessary to abate the hazard or safety hazard the existing plumbing may create.”

Substandard plumbing at XXX and be done with it.

Chuck

Why not spend 10 cents a narrative and order www.nachi.org/narratives.htm ?

Because you gave it to me for Christmas :mrgreen: Don’t you remember…L.O.L.

Best

Ron

I use specific comments for Copper pipes, pre '85 copper pipes, copper pipes below the slab,* copper re-pipes* -most are crap with unsupported uninsulated pipes, galvanized, old galvanized etc, and the newly introduced FVIR water heaters and/with their clever way of clogging up with lint

Don’t forget, those cruddy one piece corrugated angle stop valves

Hey Nick,

You got a few hundred examples of www.nachi.org/narratives.htm that we can review? :):):wink:

Anyone using these, and if so, what say you? Seems a beauty if they are 1. written well, 2. searchable, and 3. the web links are current/active in the narratives.

Would be uber cool if they came pre-loaded in HIP with the narratives in the appropriate sections :slight_smile:

I feel general language is too much of a cop out.
Describe what you see wrong specifically.

Go from there.

…and 4 hours later you’ve got a beautiful, well written report. Granted. So add to that a 3 hour tour through the house, 1-2 hours drive time…for the average sale price of $300-400 per inspection. Not for me. I want the narratives to get me 70% there, and then add the specifics. For $37/hr. on the low side, factor in insurance, automotive expenses, cell phone, equipment, TAXES and there ain’t much left. You gotta really LOVE getting all stinky, dusty etc. - not withstanding all the dangers that go into this profession (including getting capped in the arse…I know you read that post :)).

I know what ya mean Bob…

But, if I explain to a customer via a “general statement” that their 25 year old copper pipes that reside under a slab:

Can’t be seen
Have a finite service life
Have a propensity :slight_smile: to do “things”

The fact that we have to deliver these things in general statements has pros/cons, in a lot of regards I agree that reports should probably be smaller.

Problem is, when you get a phone call 20 months after your inspection and your client says “The plumber just left here and my hot water line is leaking under the slab”

If the plumbing comment was something like **

Plumbing Supply Type : Copper**
Shut Off Location: Front of Home
**Condition: Serviceable **(I just threw in the serviceable part)
Did we really explain what someone was buying? I’m not talking about this from a point of responsibility or liability. Just simply… did I do a good job explaining aspects of the home, both in person and in the report?

that is too much info for 90% of people as it is now…:smiley: They barely read the Summary or look at the Pictures as it is…

Maybe an audio or video report would be the way to go.

Bk’s got a point, less is more

**Plumbing Type/Shut off Location/Observations/Pressure: Serviceable

House Exterior-Roof-Pool/Spa Type/Observations/:****Serviceable

and

Interior of Home: SERVICEABLE!!!

**Man, that was easy!!!

No BS there either… right?
I win!!!

hahahaha… I even have a blurb now that recommends they change all the shutoff valves… :smiley:

Ya think anyone does that??? :wink:

Darin,

I received a phone call about a “Video Report” along with the standard report.

I thought “Interesting”

I asked “Why, are you not going to be present?”

Response was “I’ll be there, but I want all the documentation I can get, just in case”

I said “In case of theft?” :slight_smile:

Response was “Just in case anything goes wrong down the road”

Hmmm “You are already loading up the guns?” I asked

The client responded (honestly thankfully) “For anyone I can go after if something goes wrong”

I asked them if they understand that a home is made of many different parts, materials, components and so on, I also explained that a Home Inspection is simply a snap shot in time and if it was understood that there is a responsibility that comes with home ownership.

I never received a response… just silence, and again “Will you shoot a video of findings and how much do you charge”

I politely declined.

Hi Tim - Interesting take. Sounds like you dodged a well-aimed bullet.

I too have a comment about angle stops/fill lines and do use it when needed. Another example of a component in the home with a finite service life.