New Product Code Question

Hi.

Excuse me barging in on an inspectors-only board, but I’m a homeowner with a code question and my local inspectors haven’t answered my emails.

I was going to use one of these PVC over-hub couplings to save a bunch of work and materials on a plumbing project in my house, when a plumbing contractor friend of mine said it might not comply with code. He couldn’t give me a good reason why it wouldn’t pass inspection, just that he’d never used one before. I didn’t want to go ahead and use it, then have to tear everything out and start over, so I thought this forum would be a good place ask the experts. Any thoughts? Like, is there a specific section of code that prohibits using a fitting like this? To me, it’s the same as solvent-welding pipe inside a fitting’s hub, except this one solvent-welds to the outside of the of the fitting’s hub.

Thanks in advance for any helpful comments.

I don’t see anything wrong with the fitting itself, however, most jurisdictions prohibit the use of PVC for distribution of the potable water supply. In other words, PVC is not allowed for use inside the building/home except for drain/waste/vent (DWV) systems.

If this is being used in the DWV system, you cannot “down-size” the piping using one of these fittings. “Up-sizing” is okay.

Give the company a call… Ask them which code bodies approve the use of thier fitting, if any do then ask for a copy of a document showing the approval and also include the ASTM standard thier fittings meet. Then show that to your local inspector if he doesn’t know anything about these paticular fittings.

I would have to say they are not approved…

The outside of fitting hubs are not held within specific tolerances for glue joints, the inside is.
The outside of fitting hubs often have irregular shapes and their brand name and approval standards molded into them along with the mold seams that would make it hard to have another fitting fit the outside of it perfectly for a glue joint that must meet specific tolerances.

The code section would be under (Sanitary Drainage / Materials) of the code enforced in your area.
If the product does not have an ASTM number molded onto it that is in the charts for use above ground or below ground or for sewer use then it is not approved for that use.

The fact that they do not have information on their website advertising which code bodies approve of their fitting and the ASTM / CSA standard tells me that it is probably not approved.

In the end though, your local code inspector is the one to say whether you can use it or not. I personally do not see a problem with it as long as the outside of the hub you are glueing onto is smooth and fits inside the fitting very snug.

It would be like using a bushing in the hub of the fitting to reduce size, except it dosen’t should not be any problems with code officials other than why they didn’t think of it first.
Regards Bill

Thanks so much for the quick replies!

Yeah, I’m working with my dwv system, and that’s what the fitting’s made for. It’s Sch. 40 PVC.

I just called the company and it turns out the fitting is only a few months old and it’s the company’s first product!, so they’re “still trying to break through the red tape of the code approval process.”

The guy did tell me, though, that the material is “NSF-approved” and that the fitting is “designed according to ASTM D3311.” And I asked him about problems with the raised marks on the outside of the fitting I want to attach to, and he said I could file down the stamp and lettering, but it wasn’t “a must” because the solvent is so corrosive it dissolves the marks when I install the over-hub fitting like a regular fitting, turning it.

I wouldn’t even question using it if the job didn’t require inspection, but I’m sure you guys are right about the documentation. But the work it’ll save me is worth looking into it a bit more.

Thanks again.

As the smallest size they make is 1 1/2 inches, I don’t see a problem.

The question I have is why bother?
I don’t mean to be a smart alec, but if you had to use a cutting wheel to cut the elbow off due to space constraints, you should be able to cut off the extra 1/2 inch of plastic.

I would cut the entire elbow off and then put a pvc coupler that is female on one side, the side that slips onto the pipe, and threaded male on the other side. That way, any time you wanted to change the drain line, you would just have to unscrew it from the coupler.

As the smallest size they make is 1 1/2 inches, I don’t see a problem.

The question I have is why bother?
I don’t mean to be a smart alec, but if you had to use a cutting wheel to cut the elbow off due to space constraints, you should be able to cut off the extra 1/2 inch of plastic.

I would cut the entire elbow off and then put a pvc coupler that is female on one side, the side that slips onto the pipe, and threaded male on the other side. That way, any time you wanted to change the drain line, you would just have to unscrew it from the coupler.

Like this:

fitting.jpg

Or maybe just use a “fernco” type adapter coupler if there’s room:
http://fernco.standardplumbing.com/store.html