Shower Pan Testing

Just curious how many of you normally will test a shower pan for water tightness during the course of a typical inspection? I do not, however InterNachi is advertising this product which has me curious…

Essentially the pan fills with water but can still drain so that it will not overflow. Once filled, you are supposed to let the water sit in the pan for 20 minutes.

Yes it would be beneficial to be able to tell your client that the shower pan is not water tight and is leaking, however I would not want to be responsible for the potential water damage or leak THAT I CAUSED BY INSPECTING IT.

Let the debate begin…

While working with another company not to long ago we did test them. We would use metal tape or duct tape to seal the drain. From there we would inspect that room and maybe the ajoing room while the pan filled to minimum depth of 1/4" at shallowest point. We would continue to inspect the home and check on it later in the inspection if water was drained we would look at surround walls and areas for dampness. sometimes we would have no water no dampness so the tape might have failed or the water was just hidden. I did have one time that the water saturated a bedroom wall and carpet. I do not care for doing it as it can cause damage that we are liable for. One inspector made one out of a plunger and saved some money lol

Already been plenty of lengthy debates over the years. Search Google and type nachi.org after your keywords.

Make your own for 1/10 the price with

One of these

and one of these

http://www.fleetfarm.com/products/images/medium/0000000064837.jpg

Cut the tailpiece to 1-1/2 inches long (flanged side). Cut a round hole in the center of the drain cover that will fit snugly around the tailpiece. Slide the tailpiece up through the bottom. You now have a shower dam.

Until you run into one of those square drains :wink:

They cover enough to stand water in the pan if you have good flow, otherwise tape the edges.