Shutoff Valves??

After reading several post throughout the board I noticed that most inspectors do not turn shutoff valves. I know the obvious reason of why most don’t do it, because of liability reasons, BUT I don’t feel like that is a complete inspection, I always turn or at least try to turn all shutoff valves and operate the T&P valve if connected correctly. The T&P valve is the only thing I have ever been called by a Seller on, because they felt like I needed to pay the plumber bill for $150 because “I” broke the valve. I told them I was just doing my job and checking to see if it operated properly and notified them that the manu. recommends releasing the valve monthly, and never heard back from them. I have heard back from the listing realtor several times even after putting my foot through that ceiling :oops: she has told me that I handled everything very professionaly.

I do not operate shutoff valves. I would never operate the tpr valve as they tend to never close completely.

The biggest issue with operating valves (TPRs’ included) is that in alot of cases, the one time you operate it, is the first time in years that it has had any workout, and is likely to be the last time it works properly. especialy with the TPR. sediments from hot water will build up in the plumbing going to the valve, and hot water will currode the rubber washer holding all the pressure back, now you (or whoever) comes along and manualy releases the valve, causing either the washer to crumble, or some of that sediment to get all funky up in the valve. I see it at least 10 times every winter when some half *** plumber (not pro’s) add propylene glycol to a funace, and lower enitial heat water altitude using the TPR. Sure enough i gatta call my boiler tech. out to replace it. big head ache. if this practice hasn’t bit you in the but hard enough yet, it will. good luck.

Man you’re long winded tonite Jay.:stuck_out_tongue:

sorry, the arabic java flow heavy tonite.

I don’t check washer valves or supply valves beneath sinks, but I do check the main water and hot water shutoff valves. I don’t fully close it (if it sticks there, the sellers get really, really pissy) but I turn it in a small amount, then open it until it stops. If it doesn’t stop turning you know you have a broken valve.

Personally, I don’t open T&P valves, because I used to and most worked, then leaked. You can write that the T&P failed during testing, but you’ll still get a nasty phone call if you leave it leaking. Your choice.

I saw old washer hoses in a vacant house once and decided to turn off the water to the washer. One valve started leaking while it was off and did not leak when on. I left it on and will never touch one again.

I don’t think that’s our job–our job is to report that it is there.

I always advise in the report that the TPR should be checked monthly,
but I leave it to the homeowner (which the buyer becomes) to do so.
Any problems with leaks, etc. are on them, not me.

I’ve never had good luck with valves. Every time I use them, they leak. Every time I even think about them, they leak.

So here’s today’s story.

I’m at the BNI meeting this morning and I’m doing the 10-minute presentation. So I’ talking about good storage in sink cabinets and bad storage in sink cabinets. So our smart-a** chiropractor looked under the sink in the golf course restaurant where we meet and, yep, all sorts of chemicals. He pulled all the chemicals out and, yep, leaking water pipes. So as he’s shutting the water valves off, he says, “Shouldn’t we turn these valves off so it doesn’t keep leaking and then let the management know?” Before I could yell, “Don’t touch those valves,” yep, he had turned one and it basically exploded in his hand. A total mess. Our meeting was delayed for 30 minutes while the golf course management cleaned up the mess. But it sure was exciting and I guarantee you that the 23 people there this morning will forever remember my presentation and they all will go home and take those chemicals out of their sink cabinets and replace them with towels, rags, bathroom tissue, nose wipes, etc., lots and lots of dry stuff.

Here’s the section of my report that I was illustrating this morning:

[About Homes Sink Cabinets](http://www.abouthomes.info/files/Sink cabinets.ppt)

During the inspection and in my reports, I mention that the owner should verify the last time the knobs were turned for any reason. If not done in recent memory I Highly suggest to the buyer that all supply lines and shut off valves be changed. I also suggest that the shut off valves be changed to ball valve types and not gate valves. I mention that its a small investment and that the new owner will have a reliable record of the latest change.

Most people thank me for that suggestion (not requirement) and say that it makes sense.

I would hate to have them start cleaning their house and for some reason shut it off and boom it leaks. Preventive maintenance is the key

just my .02 cents