Sump Pump

In five years I’ve replaced two pumps and my third is acting up already. The pit is small in diameter so I can’t use a typical submersible or pedestal pump. Instead I’ve been using a Drymaster Pump Model CM-4. These pumps are fairly expensive, around 400 bucks for a rebuilt one.

Occasional I notice water at the floor drains, an indication the pump is not kicking on. When I walk over to the pump it smells hot and is hot to the touch. If I tap the side of the motor with a wrench it grinds and kicks on. I’ve taken the pump apart but I don’t see any burning or melted parts.

The pump does not run continually so I know it’s not form overusage. I know the pump should not have to be replaced in under ten years but they are only lasting about a year and a half.

Any ideas what’s causing my pump to seize up so fast?

why so much water? poor grading? need downspout extensions? I would fix the cause of the water first. then if you still have a problem i would dig out a new larger pit.

They’re made over in Redford, MI near you.

I didn’t see their warranty.

I’d call them and see what they have to say.

http://www.drymasterpump.com/index.html

I’ve called them already and they have nothing to say but bring it in. I’ve done that twice already.

Parameter grading is fine and the pump does not run continually. Really it only kicks on a couple times a day unless there’s rain.

I really really don’t want to have to dig out a larger pit but I will if I have to. I can pick up a submersible pump for about 65 bucks.

How does digging a larger pit solve the problem?

Well for one thing I’d rather replace a $65 submersible pump every 1 1/2 years than a $450 drymaster pump every 1 1/2 years. The pit is not large enough for anything other than the drymaster pump.

There is one other place to get that type of pump shellbackpump.com‎ but i bet it is about the same price range,may be cheaper just making a bigger pit

Might be worth a call. Perhaps their pumps have a little more intestinal fortitude.

If the discharge pipe is too small it will cause back pressure, dramatically shortening life of the pump.

When I first moved into this home I noticed the previous homeowners routed the drain to the laundry tub. I immediately reconnected it to the exterior drain. Now I think I might know why. If the drain is crushed under ground it might create excessive pressure shortening the life of the pump. That would explain why they routed the drain to the laundry tub.

I guess I need to dig up the drain and replace it. :frowning:

You might want to stick a guage on the line and measure to make sure it is actually back pressure before you dig up the line.

Vince,

Do yourself a favor…Get your sledge hammer out and smash that floor opening rim a tad wider. Then encase the sump hole with masonry and now you’re sump is ready for one of those cheaper pumps.

Good Luck.

A sump pit too small causes the pump to short cycle and have a much shorter life.

Right on. Short cycling is the deal. Motors draw 6-10 times current during start up. Like standing there flipping the switch on and off continuously. Heat it up in a hurry. Bigger sump…

On my way out to look at a short cycling pressure pump.
I may need a new thread.