Today's Double Wammie

Yikes!

I always get worried when the agent says this is a builder’s home that he built for himself. I am guessing that he installed the TPRV drain piping himself as well.

So much for gravity induced draining…LOL

I’m always curious…

Where do these extensions terminate?

Hay that was done right — it is just that the camera was upside down

rlb

At least he had an escutcheon on it:D

At the exterior above grade. These units are located in a full basement.

The installer is obviously brainless.

TPR valves are pressure related and this installation would require even more pressure in order to terminate outside. So, let’s say this TPR valve does fail and starts to leak, the releasing water will not release properly due to the water build up that is positioned upwards?

Here is a diagram to avoid the most common mistakes that we often report on

http://www.rd.com/images/tfhimport/2000/Sep00_Water_Heater/20000901_Water_Heater_page004img001_size2.jpg

What’s your opinion on the use of flex pipe for the TPRV?

When I hear that the hair immediately goes up on the back of my neck.
This is how many who build homes get away from having to give a builders
guarantee.
Build it live in it and no warrantee.

TARION - Protecting Ontario’s New Home Buyers](http://www.tarion.com/).

… Cookie

If you’re referring to the copper piping used in the 1st pic, it’s the wrong piping material. I’d call that out as an issue also.

If you look at the connection to the TPR valve, you’ll notice that it’s 1/2" flex piping at the connection. TPR valves should be 3/4" piping. So this line is wrong any way you look at it.

It should be 3/4" smooth walled piping installed 6" from the floor.

I’d say 95% of the TPRV installations here are flex copper, more then half run up hill. Almost all terminate outside.

Of the other 5%, well, 99% of those are plastic :shock:

I rarely if ever see a solid copper pipe attached to them, thus the comment is already in the report when I open the template, if it’s actually correctly installed, then I have to remove the comment about it being installed improperly. :mrgreen:

You’re referencing New Mexico and I’m referencing Massachusetts.

Two completely different states with two completely different codes.

I don’t care what state it is in, right is right and wrong is dangerous, David is right on this one. Wrong type, size and installation. I always recommend to the client that the pipe should terminate within 6" of the floor next to the water heater so they will be alerted to any possible problems. Who cares if it ruins the floor? What good is the floor if it is six blocks away when the heater blows because of an undiscovered pressure build-up? When it comes to safety issues, I do my best to scare people out of their complacency. Ignorance kills! I refuse to read my name in the paper about some dead family because I didn’t want to rock the boat. My motto is; “If you don’t want it inspected right! " Please don’t call me!”