TPR Drain up and out of crawl space???

Saw this today on a pre-listing inspection. Owner said a plumber installed???

9667 W Chatfield C 035.jpg

](,) ](,) ](*,)

not good!

With this ridiculous installation, It wasn’t a licensed plumber.

2003 IRC, Note specifically the bolded part:

Knowledge is power but sharing knowledge brings peace!

Note it as being PVC also. Won’t hold the temps of a release.

Looks like they need a sprinkler gut to fix that!

it alway amazes me how much time and effort people will put into doing things wrong.

Actually, some PVC will. Most PVC here has the temperature and pressure ratings printed on the pipe.

It could have been an SOTB licensed plumber. I understand they are moving from here and Arizona into the Colorado and other Midwest areas.

Especially when they think it’s right!

It may be CPVC, but it is hard to tell for sure from the pic, which would be allowed around here but not installed like that.

Hey@!%^$#!@

Hey@!%^$#!@

Hey!%^$#!@

Yes, and most often lower than the TPR release rating.

I’ll have to disagree with that. Many people, including myself, have found that the better PVC with the higher ratings is not significantly more expensive that the lower-quality stuff, and the thicker pipe means fewer breaks and other problems over the long run, so that small initial increase is earned back very, very quickly. When I do find PVC used as TPR drain pipes, it’s always the better grade stuff with the higher temperature and pressure ratings. And there also are many jurisdictions in my area that have no problem with PVC for TPR drain pipes under the premise that the drain pipe doesn’t have to take the pressure and/or temperature for an extended period of time since it has an open end.

CPVC (melon or tan in color) is rated for 100 psi at 180 degrees F.
PVC (white in color) is rated at 73 degrees F. (not sure of psi)

The TPR on my water heater is set for 150 psi and 210 degrees F.

Yes many jurisdictions allow CPVC. I just feel it’s better and safer to install copper for only a couple monkeys ($) more. After all, what is the price on safety?

I simply picture a noodle in boiling water when it comes to plastic and high temps.

http://www.ppfahome.org/products.html

In a quick trip outside in the pouring rain and 30 mph winds to my irrigation pile, I found Schedule 40 PVC rated at 125 psi, 310 psi, and 600 psi, and temperature ratings from 73°F to 210°F. The higher psi rating goes with the higher temperature rating.

Many jurisdictions here allow both PVC and CPVC, irregardless (love that word) of color.