TPR extension

I’m fairly new to the inspection business. I came across this TPR extension. I understand that most are either copper, galvanized, or CPVC. What is this made of. It was real flimsy and installed in a new home. Thanks.

Ed

Looks like PEX. Were there any markings on it?

I didn’t see any on it.

The adapter fitting on the TPR looks like this TOOL was used to attach the PEX. The other method used is the use of crimp rings.

If it doen’t have a temp rating on it, I would call it out as possibly not being up to par, it’s no good if it melts. JMO

I agree with Mike, it looks like PEX. Some jurisdictions allow this. The UPC, however, does not. Check your local codes.

If it has no visible markings, it should be replaced - period.

Thanks for the info. I will check with local to find out what they allow and see if I could find out the plumbing company to see exactly what they put in. Once again. Thanks for the help.

Ed

good points Jeff.:slight_smile:

Here are the marking requirements for ALL PEX tubing from PPFA

MARKING
PEX tubing must be labeled as follows:

1. The manufacturer’s name or trademark
  2. The standard to which it conforms (ASTM F876, F877, AWWA C904 and/or CSA B137.5)
  3. Tube size and CTS
  4. Material designation code (PEX0006)
  5. Pressure/temperature rating(s)
  6. SDR9
  7. If the tubing is for potable water, a laboratory seal or mark attesting to suitability for potable water
    *]ASTM fittings designations approved for use by the tubing manufacturer
    The marking interval is required to be no more than five feet long.

Where PEX is allowed by the AHD, and since it is a non-rigid pipe, would it also be required to have some sort of clamping device to prevent it from “whipping” in the event the TPR valve activates?

I don’t know about other jurisdictions, but the TPR discharge line is supposed to be rigid.

Is that a puddle to the left of the tank?

tom

This was my concern overall.

Tom,
That wasn’t water in the pan below the unit. It was the coating scratched from the pan.

I spoke to the local code enforcement office and they just told me that the only PEX they allow is PEX a, which should be marked on it. Also, if PEX, it should be strapped to the unit. I think that said it all. Thanks alot, Mike, Jeff, and Jack.

Ed

Strapping it to the unit makes sense. Once it heats up, it might become soft and look like a wacky kids sprinkler.

Refresh my memory, is the ‘lack’ of a ‘drip loop/sediment trap’ now not a problem?

tom

Not in the original question, but yes I always call it out when the drop/dirt leg is missing.:wink:

I recently inspected a small apartment complex which was built in 1979. About half the water heaters were sitting nicely with a drain pan, and the others were sitting on the floor, with the TPR extension either PVC or what looks like PEX extended down through the floor, terminating in the 12" crawl space.
When I asked the maintenance guy about it, he explained that since those don’t have a drain pan, they didn’t want the mess if the TPR valve should open…
After he said it, he realized what he had just said…:shock: