TPR extension

I have a few questions on this TPR extension. It is routed directly to a drain line. I should be able to see the end of it to see if it is dripping, correct? Also I don’t think this pvc pipe is rated for this use. Is it allowed to have 90 degree bends?

Sorry, forgot the pix.

recommended by cash-acme, watts & others
tprv not to exceed 30’ no more than 4-90° fittings or combination that exceeds 360°

drainline can’t have the T & requires an air gap

here’s a code if you’re not scared of minimum standards
P2803.6.1 Requirements for discharge pipe. The discharge piping serving a pressure-relief valve, temperature relief valve or combination valve shall:1. Not be directly connected to the drainage system.2. Discharge through an air gap located in the same room as the water heater.3. Not be smaller than the diameter of the outlet of the valve served and shall discharge full size to the air gap.4. Serve a single relief device and shall not connect to piping serving any other relief device or equipment.5. Discharge to the floor, to the pan serving the water heater or storage tank, to a waste receptor or to the outdoors.6. Discharge in a manner that does not cause personal injury or structural damage.7. Discharge to a termination point that is readily observable by the building occupants.8. Not be trapped.9. Be installed to flow by gravity.10. Not terminate more than 6 inches (152 mm) above the floor or waste receptor.11. Not have a threaded connection at the end of the piping.12. Not have valves or tee fittings.13. Be constructed of those materials listed in Section P2904.5 or materials tested, rated and approved forsuch use in accordance with ASME A112.4.1MANUFACTURER WARNING: REINSPECTION OF T&P RELIEF VALVE: Temperature and Pressure Relief Valves should be reinspected AT LEAST ONCE EVERY THREE YEARS by a licensed plumbing contractor or authorized inspection agency, to insure that the product has not been affected by corrosive water conditions and to insure that the valve and discharge line have not been altered or tampered with illegally. Certain naturally occurring conditions may corrode the valve or its components over time, rendering the valve inoperative. Such conditions are not detectable unless the valve and its components are physically removed and inspected. Do not attempt to conduct this inspection on your own. Contact your plumbing contractor for a reinspection to assure continuing safety. FAILURE TO REINSPECT THIS VALVE AS DIRECTED COULD RESULT IN UNSAFE TEMPERATURE OR PRESSURE BUILD-UP WHICH CAN RESULT IN SERIOUS INJURY OR DEATH AND/OR SEVERE PROPERTY DAMAGE. IMPORTANT: A relief valve functions in an emergency by discharging water. Therefore, it is essential that a discharge line be piped from the valve in order to carry the overflow to a safe place of disposal. The discharge line must be the same size as the valve outlet and must pitch downward from the valve and terminate at least 6"(152mm) above the floor drain or wherever any discharge will be clearly visible.

As far as it being in the drain, I would say no. Plus, it should be within 6" of the floor with no cap or threaded end. It looks higher than 6 inches. I’m pretty sure it can be only CPVC or copper. And I don’t like then 90’s on it either.

Heres a link to the manufacturer with more info…

http://www.americanwaterheater.com/support/instructions/6500260.pdf

504.6 Requirements for discharge piping.
The discharge
piping serving a pressure relief valve, temperature relief valve
or combination thereof shall:

1. Not be directly connected to the drainage system.
  2. Discharge through an air gap located in the same room
    as the water heater.
  3. Not be smaller than the diameter of the outlet of the
    valve served and shall discharge full size to the air gap.
  4. Serve a single relief device and shall not connect to pip

ing serving any other relief device or equipment.
5. Discharge to the floor, to an indirect waste receptor or
to the outdoors. Where discharging to the outdoors in
areas subject to freezing, discharge piping shall be first
piped to an indirect waste receptor through an air gap
located in a conditioned area.
6. Discharge in a manner that does not cause personal
injury or structural damage.
7. Discharge to a termination point that is readily observ

able by the building occupants.
8. Not be trapped.
9. Be installed so as to flow by gravity.
10. Not terminate more than 6 inches (152 mm) above the
floor or waste receptor.
11. Not have a threaded connection at the end of such pip

ing.
12. Not have valves or tee fittings.
13. Be constructed of those materials listed in Section
605.4 or materials tested, rated and approved for such
use in accordance with ASME A112.4.1

Pipe that can be used:

http://publicecodes.cyberregs.com/icod/ipc/2012/icod_ipc_2012_6_par037.htm

There can be up to 4 elbows.

Thanks guys. Jim, I will include the installation instructions with my report for reference.

A plumber once told me “4 90’s equals one plug”. :|.)