TPR position?

I probably should know this and maybe already do, 2 x in the past couple months I have found tpr valve installed at the side rather than the top, I recommended having a plumber evaluate, needed one for something else that was obvious anyway, they were mounted in sort of a drip leg and basically would just blow against the wall and splatter you back with hot water. I know that is wrong for sure, bt I am curious if the valve would even be effective mounted there.

I’m not really following you but if you mean like this, it is okay.

http://www.usinspect.com/waterheaters/Images/Water_Heater_Basic15.gif

Sorry I wasn’t clear, these two tanks had cold water inlets going in the side,and the tpr was was installed there, I think, if I remember right they were about 10 year old rheem units and were in the same small town (very small) probably put in by the same person, I lost the pics on my old laptop so I can’t supply any, but I guess the concern is that the valve is in the cold water.

Then that’s no good. Some models allow the TPR on the top of the unit, but having it on either the hot or cold lines is just plain stupid.

It would be difficult (if not impossible) to install a TPR valve on the piping. More likely, it was simply a relief valve.

Was there a Watts 210 gas shutoff valve installed on the tank?

I assume Canada has similar requirements with regard to over-temperature and over-pressure protection devices.

Photos are always helpful, especially when trying to describe a discrepancy, helps to avoid misinformation and confusion.

These were installed from a tee in basically a drip leg so the water flow was not affected, and they were installed proper direction, but what what baffled me was that there was no separate outlet for a tpr so I don’t think there was any other way to for a saftey valve, like I said these were probably original to 10-12 year old houses and needed upgrading any way, one was going to put in their offer that they wanted it changed and the other was going to go to oil fired after they took posession. I wish my laptop hadn’t crashed and I could have posted the pics, it croaked the next day,thanks guys

When I first started doing plumbing work, ALL TPR valves were installed in tees since there were no special tapped safety valve bungs in water heaters back then.
Water heaters only had five openings, hot, cold, drain, thermostat, and anode rod.

Most of the TPR valves were much shorter that the one’s we see now but we used the XL models and installed them in fittings we called Patrol Wyes.

Sounds like that’s what I had, just for curiosity how long ago was that? They must have been quality units to be as old as they were and no leaks, still working fine-likely inefficient compared to new models. Would these be effective for pressure relief mounted in a tee? Thanks for the input

Take the water heater course.

Charles,
If I know the brand and model even without pictures we can info. Some of the older small commercials had recirc. openings on the side. If CW was put there it wouldn’t operate effectively.

Jack, these were about 12 year old Rheem units 40 gallon electric, not sure of the model at the moment.
I guess the bottom line here is, if we come across this again "TPR valve improperly installed and presents a safety hazard, have licensed plumber evaluate and make necessary repairs.Asap
Along with the fact they were ancient anyway,I think alot homeowners (me guilty:mrgreen: ) have the “if it aint broke don’t fix it” syndrome. They were still heating water fine, but the walls would be weaker due to rust and sediment they would be unsafe anyway.

As long as it is in the top 6" of the tank.