Trap under sink

Isn’t this a great job or what

DSCN0632 (Small).JPG

AH HA, There’s my slinky!:lol:

It’s hard to tell, it’s vibrating so bad I cant see it.:stuck_out_tongue:

How did you report it?

It needs duct tape!

Dr. Suess strikes again. boy that cat in the hat is a sneaky fellow at that.

Where’s the weir??:shock:

If it drains leave it alone…

i43.jpg

The drain lines below the sink makes unnecessary turns, include an illegal trap or have had amateur repairs, and should be evaluated by a plumber.

I don’t see an “S” trap or “unnecessary turns” in your photo Earl. I do see shaving cream which, I assume means that it’s a vanity (not a kitchen) sink. and I also assume an older home. It,s not pretty, but I’m not sure how else they could have connected it.

I would probably go with “the sink drain piping appears to be functional (if it was) but you should be aware flex connections can be prone to clogging”.

So you saying there is nothing wrong with the installation off the drain trap.

“plumbing under sink appear improper, a licensed plumber should assess further”

Thanks guys

There was a huge argument on slinky traps over at inspectionnews.com last year. The Florida boys found tons of code saying slinky traps are not allowed.

We use them here in San Diego, but my own experience with them leads me to put this in my report for my Clients whenever I find a slinky trap:

**Flexible accordion drain pipes at sink in *******. Maintenance concern. Flexible accordion drain pipes typically are not rigid enough to resist damage on a daily basis in sink cabinet areas and should not be used on a permanent basis. Recommend having standard rigid tailpipe installed to help prevent leaks and water damage.

Not really saying it’s right either, but what might be wrong has nothing to do with S-traps or the number of turns. Legal P-traps can be twisted like that. Without seeing the actual installation (or a better photo) it’s hard to determine the actual angles. If the trap arm rises as it enter the rubber boot, or any part of it was actually leaking, or this was a new home then yes, of course, we have a problem. If it was under a kitchen sink where the accordian would likely get frequently clogged with grease I would be more concerned. I don’t like it and I would report it as being sub-standard (as mentioned in my previous post…or Russel’s) but on an older home, as long as none of the above are an issue I don’t think I’d be getting too excited. I might be wrong, but there are bigger fish to fry.

On the other hand, I doubt anyone would fault you for calling for repair…it’s one of those gray area calls…but just make sure it’s for the right reasons.

“**Assessment **by a licensed plumber”? For a readily visible sink trap??? Sorry, but that’s a little too much CYA. There may well be different opinions on this particular one, but we should be able to **form that opinion ourselves. **

I don’t know how much space is available under the sink, but it looks like the best fix or improvement would be a quick offset on the sink tail piece which would then allow the space for a regular trap without the flex.

I dissagree. The trap is wrong. IRC P3201.4 “Traps shall be set level with respect their water seals” Picture the water line inside the trap. It should be level with or in right angles to the trap body.

John, I think a lot of the angle is “percieved” due to parallax distortion and the angle the photo was taken at. In the photo below I’ve rotated it so that the distortion of the tiles is about even on both sides of the trap. We still have the fact that the photo was taken at a downward angle, but if (I stress if) that trap arm is level then the the trap itself can’t be that far off level.

earlstrap.jpg

Sounds good to me! This lifetime Mensa member is off to look up the word “paralax” :slight_smile:

To me (other than the slinky) it looks like someone might have been lazy. I can not tell how much room their is but with a proper locking nut replacing the rubber boot and trimming the plastic horizontal trap pipe shorter so it can fit inside the drain would make more sense then what the installer did.

Looks like someone didn’t own a hack saw.

You will not find the flex piping in the allowable materials shown in table 3002.1.

Drain/waste lines require a “smooth interior waterway.”