Utility Drain into sump pump

The utility sink drain line is directly going into the sump pump basin. Just wondering if this could be a problem or not. I know its a pretty easy question for some. Also lack of P-trap.

I don’t see a problem with it if the sink is infrequently used and the sump discharges into the sewer system.

Thats what I was thinking , just getting another opinion. Thanks Joe

1. Frequency of use is irrelevent, as well as Seller **vs **Buyer will be different usage rates, with the Buyer rate yet to be determined,

2. A sump should never be connected to the waste system (unless locally mandated),

3. IMO, due to the possible varied contaminates, (soaps/solvents/feces from dirty diapers/etc.), I would not consider the waste from a utility sink to be simply “grey water”.

A basement sump? Reason?

Over taxing of the sewage waste systems. I do/have operated in 3 different states, and countless different counties, and every one of them prohibited the practice.

The sump pump isn’t connected to the sewage system , pumps it out a PVC discharge pipe into the yard about 15 ft away.

Jeff with no sump it would still go to the house drain so there is no difference though if it is a sump used for flood control and dumping into the ground it would then be an issue.

Where should a 2nd floor slop sink drain to?
Obviously the town drain is above the basement level and a sump is needed.

So Jeff, the utility line should drain into the main drainage system?

Bob… Chicago terminology may be different from other areas… but in my area, that would be called a “residential lift station” with/without a grinder pump… not a “sump”. Sumps generally are for ground water & storm water discharge… irrelevent of where it discharges to.

Yes.

Example… the wifey knocks over a new gallon bottle of bleach in the utility sink and it all drains out before she can contain the spill. Bleach is considered toxic in quantities.

What does your gut tell you?

Ok , Then just to be safe, That is what I’m going to recommend that the buyer does. Thank you guys for all the help and very useful info.

I assumed that the sump was connected to the sewer or septic system. If not, then the sink should not discharge to it. I agree with others who said that.

yeah sorry Joe, I should have specified that from the first post.