Water Pressure @ shower head?

Did an inspection the other day on a new house 2012 few issues, Noted in the report (Not as a critical issue just noted) that I observed low water pressure @ the master bathroom shower head (it was very low). My client wanted it fixed and asked the seller (builder) to fix it. Builders response was “ok I will provide code compliance pressure allowed to master bathroom shower head”. Well I got a phone call from my client asking me what the code pressure is for a master bathroom shower heads. My response " I dont know" :slight_smile: I also told him I wouldnt think it would be anything different from the hallway bathrooms water pressure so I would be wondering way it was so different.
My question here is does anyone know if there are different pressure code compliances for different bathrooms if so what are they?

Your issue was in all likelihood one of flow, not pressure. Static pressure at the shower is unlikely to be any different than anywhere else in the house.

Our own Congress in its wisdom and complete lack of understanding of the Constitutional limits placed upon it passed a law limiting shower heads sold in the US to a meager maximum flow rate of 2.5gpm. Regulators are all too eager to sue or fine manufacturing companies that don’t comply.

Fortunately, almost all manufacturers of decent shower heads achieve the Maximum flow rate requirement by installing removable restrictors in the heads. Some builders contractor’s pull them and some don’t. There are many online sources showing how to perform shower head surgery to get usable flow out of them. It’s an easy DIY for most owners. Probably not the fault of your builder.

Remember. There is pressure and there is flow. Two different items.

Especially with new construction, there is a filter in the faucet that more often than not, gets clogged with debris from construction. Combine that with a low flow showerhead and it appears to be low pressure, but in fact the pressure will be the same throughout the house unless there is a regulator installed somewhere in the distribution system.

Have them clean the filter and flush the faucet / showerhead. I would bet the issue goes away.

Beat me to it Chuck. Great minds…

Bested you by one minute - Great minds indeed!:mrgreen:

I think the shower heads shoulg be cleaned and the issue will go away.
There are several ways to go about increasing shower heads water pressure:
– The first one is to clean the clogged screen right at the inlet of the showerhead.
– The second option is to remove the showerhead water flow restrictor.

Cleaning the screen to increase showerhead pressure

To clean a blocked showerhead screen, first remove the shower head from the arm supply pipe. If it’s too tight and you want to protect the showerhead finish, use a wrench and a rag. The screen is located right at the showerhead’s inlet or handle. Remove it and clean it under running water to clear it of any sediment.Depending on showerhead’s model it’s advisable to remove the black donut shaped rubber piece called the gasket, from of the shower inlet head to ensure thorough cleaning. Be extremely attentive while removing the gasket so that you don’t damage it or the showerhead threadings.

Removing the flow restrictor

Almost all showerheads have flow restrictor sometimes referred to as flow controller. This gadget limits the water flow to less than three gallons per minute thus saves energy and water as well as your hard earned cash. Removing the water flow restrictor will increase the handheld showerhead water pressure as well as energy consumption.
Check the water heater to clear it of sediments Addressing the problems with hot water supply can be another alternative. This is in case you showerhead also produces hot water. Check if the problem might be coming from the hot water heater system. May be the sediment blocking the water heater or the hot water supply line. Thoroughly flush the hot water heater tank. You can hire an expert if you aren’t comfortable with the job. To ensure that this doesn’t happening again, please regularly replace the anode rod and Install a water softener to automatically clear the sediments. Remember, low water pressure on the handheld showerhead is mostly because of poor maintenance and not necessarily manufacturer default.

Clark’s rights. I have a large round head and shower. more photos of her here: http://bit.ly/28IuoYUAnd so I clean it regularly, and all is well with the pressure.

This looks highly suspect. And so does Kim.

Ya think so???

Flow rate problem as others have stated, could be showerhead, could be cartridge, could be piping. Tell the client to get a bucket and and a watch to determine what the flow rate actually is.

Does the flow fluctuate when other fixtures are on?