16D nails in hangers

Right or wrong. Conditioned and unfinished crawl and basement.
Some hangers were installed with galvanized roofing nails and some with regular 16D

I know ideally you should have used hanger nails, but if the joists were just nailed in place then these nails would have been used anyway.

If you say its wrong then what are the concerns other than the maker says not to.

I think hanger nails are stronger ,But I never get into that I just say incorrect nails used in the hangers .

Roofing nails…the heads pop off and lack shear strength…
16D sinkers…rust/corrode.

But, against manufacturer’s installation instructions is enough for me. They do the engineering.

Exactly.

Other than the roofing nails, and exterior and PT uses, 16D, N16, 16D, N10, 8D, 10D, or N8 nails can be used with Simpson Strong-Tie connectors. :slight_smile:

Works for me

What I like is at 12 feet I can tell if they used hanger nails or not .
I like this when I do not have to struggle over some of the bad stuff under the deck. My deck I cavered the bottom with sloped metal roofing and closed it in two 4 ft sliding doors.
It is always dry and a great place to store things

Yes mine was dry as well. :smiley:

Lights what a great idea now you have added to my work load thanks I love to stay busy.

http://www.strongtie.com/ftp/bulletins/T-NAILGUIDE02-R.pdf

Sean, with places like that to inspect, it can be quite frustrating into trying to find some sort of defect when it looks like it came off an A/E drawing. :mrgreen::wink:

Bloody nice mate.

I was just about to ask.
Thanks mate.:slight_smile:

Catalog: Wood Construction Connectors 2011-2012

Don’t forget some of these hanger nails might be installed with nail guns.

df250-mc.jpg

df250-mc-fasteners.jpg

PT-MC13115GAL1M_mid_res.jpg

Great point Marcel.
Air driven fasteners. Clipped head or round head nails.
UBC has code compliance.
Overdriven nails:
Cliped head nails.
I sold my clipped head gun.
I only hand drive fasteners but will rent on occasion.
Do not forget RAMSET that can be used for ledger boards then the hangers.
INSTALL NAILS FLUSH TO THE SHEATHING

The 1994 UBC stated that the nail should “not fracture the surface of the sheathing”. 

The 1997 UBC has clarified the language to state that the “head or crown of the nail is flush with the surface of the sheathing.”
    Nails installed with their heads resting on but not into the sheathing can cause problems for roofing and other finishes.
    Nails should be driven so that the top of the nail is flush and not above the surface of the sheathing. 

What happens during an earthquake?
    Nails will try to pull through the thickness of wood structural panel sheathing during an earthquake
    For this reason, it is important that nails should be driven flush with the surface of the sheathing and not overdriven and that they be placed correctly
    Overdriven nails:
        Reduce the shear wall strength by effectively reducing the thickness of the sheathing.
        At panel edges, overdriven nails allow easier nail punch-through.
        At intermediate studs, overdriven nails allow easier panel buckling. 
    Why are nails overdriven?
        Excessive air pressure in the nail gun
        Too long of a driving pin on the nail gun.
        When the spacing and framing member thickness allow, nails should be added to replace any overdriven nails.

I always marvel at those who can identify a 16-D vs xx-D nail by looking at the nail head. Keep up the good work.

Dam, I’d like to learn that trick myself. :slight_smile:

You mean your not suppose to pull them out to check?:shock:
I just use my side arm to hammer it back in lol

:mrgreen::wink: