Beam ?'s

Client has these under house he put a offer in on, I recommend further review by a structural engineer. Engineer isn’t gonna do anyting but give him a quote on drawing something up right. Is this correct. Why not have a carpenter give him a quote just to build it right?:wink:

Because the “carpenter” was the one who did the work in the first place…:roll:

I think in this case it might of been a Carpenter in training. :slight_smile:

James, something in the pictures don’t add up.

I am looking at a fairly recent looking foundation stem wall, a plywood sub-flooring, but on the other hand, I am seeing rough sawn lumber and bridging that brings me back to the late 60’s when I installed them and also old piping and insulation that I can not make out.

It appears that the beam as you call it might be addittional support for a springy floor or some heavy item was placed in that area that was not initially there at the time of the original build.

Was this an old building that was moved?:):smiley:

I concur with Marcel simply based upon how they framed around the fireplace…if the spans are fine then my concern is the wood in proximity to the ground (termites).

Is that a concrete wall or has it been parched…cant tell.

Jeff

Me too. Those joists look fine for the span. Honkin’ big beams and posts just to take a little springiness out of the floor. Support for a hot tub?

You’re on the right track. SE’s are recommended by home inspectors far too often in my opinion, and needlessly so in many cases. Such would be the case here.

So Jeff, do you recommend a qualified foundation repair conractor instead of an SE sometimes?

Yes I do.

We have foundation contractors in CA that employ SE’s - that’s what makes them “qualified.” :wink:

I agree Jeff, the only time I call for an SE is if there is visual evidence of a problem. In those picture’s it’s hard to tell but just the fact that someone added support at some point is not enough, IMHO. I would note it in my report.

Mr Marcel, sir, that subfloor is diagonal shiplap and that pipe insulation is newspaper, so your guess of late 60’s rings true.

Nick should send you a new monitor, so you can help these young fellers better. :stuck_out_tongue:

Sorry, didn’t have my glasses on. :mrgreen:
Well up here it used to be T & G at a 45 degree install.
Still looks like a fairly new stem wall though. :):smiley:

Sorry never got back to this thread but to let everyone know, house was built in 1947. Addition which is the new stem wall in the 80’s. House had much moisture ant damage. A number of other WDO issues also. Practically needed full gut and remodel. Thanks for all the great remarks