Beveled LVL beam

I found this beveled double LVL on a framing inspection that also holds up the end of another large LVL beam.

I reported the need for the engineers drawing since I knew it could be correct as is but had some doubts due to the loads on it.

The builder sent my client the drawing and specs, it indicated a 5 1/2 inch heel at the end of the beam and a 5/12 bevel slope. An email also came with it that stated " the calculations are correct on the beam".

I went back for the predrywall and framing reinspection and actually measured it since I knew it did not have a 5 1/2 inch heel.

In case the pictures ended up too small, the heel came out to be 4 inches and the bevel was wrong too so its back to the drawing board…

I hope I get to go back and see what the repair looks like.

003.JPG

IMGP0132.JPG

001.JPG

002.JPG

let us know

They provided a new engineers drawing and letter that indicates the beveled beam is still within the design numbers.

The heel should be measured at the minimum bearing point, which is generally 1-1/2". Is that about where your third picture is?

No, the 2nd picture is the heel as indicated on both of the engineers drawings. The end of the beam should have been 5 1/2 inches tall according to the original plans which would have made the height in the third picture over 7 inches.

What did you mean by the 1 1/2 inches? The top plate is 3 1/2 inches bearing surface.

Generally, beams and such require a minimum end-bearing of 1-1/2" on their support, whether it be a “plate” or other type of supporting wall.

So the heel can technically be 5-1/2" at that point, which is about half way onto the plate. Anything past that is just “extra.”

The engineers drawing showed the entire 3 1/2 inches of bearing surface as being used or required. LVL beams typically require 3 1/2 inches due to the extremely high loads. Sawn lumber beams are good for only 1 1/2 bearing in most cases.

That’s really all that matters. I’ve seen glue-lams and LVL’s at 1-1/2", but it’s up to the engineer.