brick + steele shims for I-beam? honeycomb?

Hi ,

I’ve just finished doing a structural walk through of our new house in Toronto canada, and I’ve never seen anything like this before, but the super insisted this is okay… Using bricks and steel plates to shim up steel supports. (see pics). the plates were all loose, I can pull and push plates around with little effort. The super told me that they’ll stuff concrete in there and finish it off nicely once they’re done. I am just not getting a easy feeling about it as it can shift over time.

Also, how much honeycombing is acceptable in concrete foundation? I found this area pretty bad, but again, the super says its fine because the city inspector wouldn’t have signed off on it if it wasn’t… see last pic.

your expert opinions is appreciated.

sheesh, i dont like it, wouldnt buy it but thats Bubba-Gump.

city inspectors not always right, especially when it comes to basements/waterproofing/foundation work…causes/remedies of problems etc.

My advice, would be to get rid of the Super. :slight_smile:
Let me know if you really need help.
I had to laugh at those pictures.

Marcel:) :wink:

Yes, that does not look good. I would have an outside professional come in and give you a written, signed, objective, opinion and present that to the super or seller. I just don’t trust the support system in place judging just by pics.

Totally unacceptable! You’ve got to be kidding!

Take those photos to your building department and ask for the inspector who signed off on this mess.

Jeff; you think that beam extension was done by a certified welder?

Maybe it was the same guy that poured the foundation!!! LOL

Marcel :slight_smile: :smiley: :wink:

Were those welds? Looked like bubble gum. . .

:smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

:shock: :shock: :shock: I would say that it depends on how far back in the woods you live. Are you close to the road? This is awful needs to be repaired properly. Are you an acre or so back? Not too bad of a repair, probably could have done a little better job. One to Two miles back in the woods? The jack for the car was getting weak so we went to the crick and pulled out a couple cinder blocks, its as good as new. :smiley:

Thanks for all your input guys, I’m definitely taking this up with the city inspector… those individual shims are not welded together, just jamed in place… but the other end of the IBEAM is welded to another IBEAM, so it’s is only the wall end that is left unsupported…

I also did see any anchors from the frames that sit ontop of the IBEAM, they are just nails bent over to clamp the IBEAM…

This is going to be my house! it’s in a urban subdivision…

bubble gum is a nicer analogy … looks like he used that beam to wipe his nose.