Can this type of Epoxy by used for this application?

I was told that water was leaking from a crack at the foundation wall. Epoxy was used but I have never seen this color before. All the professional foundation repair companies around here use a gray epoxy. Does the color indicate the type? And if so, is it appropriate for this application?

Lastly, what are “Tags” which is located below this message as I am typing this?

DSC01932.JPG

From the FAQ section:

Did it have plugs?

If it was done by a reputable company, the owner should have the lifetime warranty info and receipt. Or at least remember which company did the job. But, yeah, the common epoxy color that you see to enclose the crack is gray. Is it possible that someone may have used the urethane to cover over the crack instead of having an injection done?

Jeff

Thanks for the info

Yes

I was told the builder repaired the cracks. I took it as the builder himself.

It sound like you guys haven’t see this color used.

At this time, I’m going to write it up so it covers my a$$. Will recommend buyers getting warranty paperwork and monitor area for future water seepage/cracking.

I’ll also call a foundation repair company to see what they have to say.

I’ve seen that color before a couple of times, and simply took it for what it appeared (homeowner patch). Unfortunately I couldn’t tell you if it is the correct stuff or not.

Kevin, this is what a foundation repair company recommended I use after I had my foundation repaired (small cracks, not what they repaired). Note the color choices. http://www.dhcsupplies.com/store/p/2-Sonolastic-NP1-Sealant.html

So what happens to the crack now Kevin?Have you reported the color of the epoxy being used?

I wrote in the report that this home inspector is not familiar the product used to repair the foundation crack and if applied properly to ensure reliable performance. Recommend checking with company that made repairs to determine material used and type of warranty included.

The builder (I found out that he also owned a concrete company) gave the buyer information about the product he used with a life time warranty for the repair (all in writing).

Here is the products used. The description shows the product is gray but the builder informed the buyers that it turned a different color because of an additive they mixed with it. If he says so.

It appears that the product he used is no longer manufactured.
This must be the replacement.
It is good to have a life time warranty in writing.
The job is only as good as the product used and how it was applied.

POLYBAC #1004FS
LOW ODOR CRACK PASTE
1. PRODUCT NAME
POLYBAC #1004FS2. MANUFACTURER
Polygem, Inc.
1105 Carolina Drive
West Chicago, IL 60185
Telephone: (630) 231-5600
FAX: (630) 231-5604
Internet: www.polygem.com 3. PRODUCT DESCRIPTION
POLYBAC #1004FS is the original low odor fast setting crack sealer. This two component, 100% solids, epoxy paste is moisture insensitive epoxy paste can be applied vertically, horizontialty or overhead. POLYBAC #1004FS is primarily used to seal cracks prior to injecting cracks with POLYJECT #1001, or to adhere surface mounted injection ports to the concrete surface. POLYBAC #1004 FS can be used indoors without affecting workers or residents with offensive odors.

Advantages / Features

• MEETS CRITERIA FOR ASTM C-881, TYPE I, GRADE 3, CLASS B & C
  • LOW ODOR - NO TOXIC FUMES
  • USED INDOORS WITHOUT EVACUATING RESIDENTS
  • MOISTURE INSENSITIVE - CAN BE APPLIED TO WET OR DRY SURFACES
  • RAPID SET FOR FAST JOB COMPLETION
  • EASILY MIXED AND FEATHEREDGED
  • PINS LOOSE OR BROKEN MASONRY
  • COST EFFECTIVE

4. APPLICATION INSTRUCTIONS

1. Mix 1 part A (Resin) to 1 part B (Hardener) by volume until uniform gray color. Make sure there are no color streaks after mixing.
  2. Maintain unmixed material temperature above 50° F for best results.
  3. See Recommended Concrete Crack Repair for further information.

Consult Polygem for additional technical instructions

Packaging
2 gallon, 4 gallon, 10 gallon, 100 gallon kits

5.TECHNICAL DATA Performance Properties TestTest Method ResultsCompressive Strength ASTM D-6957,000 psi (min) Tensile Strength ASTM D-6383,000 psi (min) Tensile Elongation D-6383% minimum Slant Shear Strength ASTM C-882100% Concrete failure (stronger than concrete) Shore D Hardness ASTM D-224085-90 Pot Life @ 75° F (1 Quart)8-12 minutes Cure Time @ 75° F30-40 minutes* Cure Time (under water) @ 75° F2-3 hours Mix Ratio1:1 by volume Coverage20 sq. ft./ 2 gallon kit * POLYBAC #1004 FS will take longer to cure if material andlor concrete are below 75° F.
Apply external heat to accelerate cure time.
Polygem, Inc. warrants its products to be free of manufacturing defects and that, at the time and place of shipment, our material will meet current physical properties when applied within Polygem’s directions and tested in accordance with ASTM and Polygem standards. Polygem, Inc’s liability is limited to replacement of material found defective. As Polygem, Inc. has no control over the use to which others may put its products, it is recommended that the product be tested to determine if suitable for a specific application and/or our information is valid in a particular circumstance. Responsibility remains with the architect or engineer, contractor and owner for the design, application and proper installation of each product. Nothing contained herein shall be construed to be a recommendation to use or as a license to operate under or to infringe any existing patents. Data sheets are subject to change without notice, for latest revision check our website at www.polygem.com](http://www.polygem.com)

Marcel :):smiley: