Do you comment on electroplated flashing/hangers used with pressure treated wood?

Thinking primarily of decks here…
Wood that was pressure treated after 2003 uses chemicals more corrosive than the old pressure treating method and electroplated or aluminum joist hangers/fasteners/flashing are not supposed to be in contact with it.

It’s pretty much impossible to find joist hangers or flashing that are not electroplated steel, except for the high-end homes that have copper flashing.

Do you disclaim this condition or include a narrative in your report to alert your client to it?

I report on any/all flashing/hangars that are degraded in any way. Do I get into the discussion about how they are manufactured? No. The average client has no clue, nor has any interest in knowing this information. They’ve got enough other stuff to be concerned about. They just want to know the home is safe and solid.

It’s not really “how they’re manufactured”, it’s really about identifying materials that are chemically incompatible and when in contact with each other will degrade more rapidly than if proper materials had been used. Especially when it’s a widespread condition across the US.

Why are so many people afraid to participate in a poll? The poll is anonymous! No one is going to call anyone out for clicking on the poll!

Because that is way out of the scope…
Do you?

Too general and not enough info available to the inspector for any real determination of compatibility issues, unless visual corrosion is premature. Dry areas really pose no problems, but wet areas (decks) and marine areas (docks) should be noted for proper connectors and fasteners. I recommend stainless connectors for docks. Standard galvanized connectors should not be used for exterior decks either, but it may be too difficult to tell the difference. So no, I usually don’t comment unless there is premature corrosion.

Regardless, as a home inspector, it is not something that I concern myself, or my clients, with.

Not afraid. IMO, your choice options do not fit my viewpoint, thus no choice is my only acceptable choice.

Not “afraid”.
IMO, your choice options do not fit my viewpoint, thus no choice is my only acceptable choice.

I will think about this and probably add a narrative. I guess I did not know that newer pressure treated lumber had that much more copper in it, thereby making it more corrosive.

I see some are suggesting PVC flashing or wrapping the wood with a barrier.

Search treated lumber | Simpson Strong-Tie

Well Roy, this post isn’t an attempt to influence how inspectors perform their inspections, but more to get an idea of what a lot of practicing home inspectors think about this issue. What I do is my decision. I’m interested in the decisions of others.

Kenton I’ve had several inspections that I’ve made comment regarding not only the lack of proper hangers, but their not being compatable with the environmental application.

In specific: Simpson makes a ZMax hanger that is designed for salt environments. I’ve inspected several houseboats or floating homes which were not properly rated but rather standard hangers designed for interior framing applications.

Another common problem are undersized hangers that frequently owner builders purchase with no understanding of their specific use and application.

Quite possible that ones’ own experience will dictate what they report or simply don’t report for lack of understanding. If you have a background in construction these are fairly obvious defects.
As would be using a standard galvinzed screw for decking in modern PT materials.

It’s a defect and if it were my home being inspected, I’d expect a competent Home Inspector would call it out.

WOW, Rick… floating homes! I spent some time down where you’re at and went through a floating home inspection and looked at a lot of others. I actually talked to the local building inspector who really encouraged me to try to develop standards for the inspection of floating homes.

I haven’t had the time. Hey man! You should do it! You develop those standards, we’ll review them, together we’ll make any necessary changes, and together we’ll get it pushed through to become national code! Sound good?