Copper naphthenate & Creosote

Recently, I learned about a lawsuit involving the wood preservative copper naphthenate. I have seen this before in the form of intermediate floor framing in foundation crawlspaces that has a greenish tinge. I have also seen framing that has been treated with creosote, and has a brownish tinge and a distinctive odor. Apparently both wood-preserving chemicals have been identified as known carcinogens, and in the interests of serving my clients and avoiding litigation I have added two narratives to my program that you’re welcome to have and edit as necessary, which read as follows:

Wooden components within the foundation crawlspace have a greenish tinge, which is similar or identical to wood that has been treated with copper naphthenate. Copper naphthenate is alleged to be a carcinogen, or a chemical that is capable of causing cancer. However, I do not have the expertise of the authority to identify or comment on chemical carcinogens and recommend that you consult an industrial hygienist.

[FONT=Arial][size=2]Wooden components within the foundation crawlspace have a brownish tinge and a distinctive odor, which is similar or identical to wood that has been treated with creosote. Creosote is alleged to be a carcinogen, or a chemical that is capable of causing cancer. However, I do not have the expertise of the authority to identify or comment on chemical carcinogens and recommend that you consult an industrial hygienist.
[/size][/FONT]

Oops. I meant to say “or the authority,” not “of the authority.”

for the people, of the people and by the people…NBD. (no big deal)i too have heard this.:mrgreen:

Good writing.

Keith,

Ditto on the report. Just for your info, Copper Naphthanate also comes in a brown color. I use it as well in my Deck business for wood protection.

Patrick

The Blue / Green tinge could also be a pretreatment of Timbor and/or Bora-Care.

http://www.nisuscorp.com/timbor.html

Keith:

Timbor, Bora-Care and other Nisus products have not been shown to be known carcinogens.

Alarming Consumers as to the presence of a Cancer Causing Chemical based on the presence of a visible discoloration on lumber could bring Liability from Builders who employ this treatment as a beneficial pretreatment for Mold, Termite and Insect control.

Lumber that has been recently CCA treated also has a greenish tinge. CCA treatment is still acceptable in the industry for lumber where repeated direct contact (especially by children) is not likely … and it’s still available for framing lumber, but not for things like exposed decking or railings.

There is often a fine line between alarming a client and covering yourself liability wise. How about something along the lines of …

Just thinking out loud … :wink:

Agreed, agreed, agreed. Thanks.

I know this is an old Thread… BUT I am in a similar position with this product. Do you still have any contact with the folks involved in this issue? I am in desperate need of the information on how to get rid of the smell of the product even after the treated lumber was removed? Would you be willing to contact them or pass along my info to them to reach out to me? Thanks for any help you can offer…