Curb at bottom of basement wall question

Hi, I am sorry if this is a stupid question. I am currently finishing class to become a home inspector and during structure class they talked about benched footings and underpinning but I am a little confused. If there is a curb present at the bottom of a wall is that a clear sign that the basement has been underpinned or possibly benched? Some of these curbs dont look more than 6 inches in height and a few inches out. Thanks for any help with this.

This question makes no sense to me. I never heard of a “benched” footing and “underpinning” usually has to do with repair work as far as I know, so it doesn’t related to benched footings, and the dimensions you give don’t seem to relate to anything.
What course are you taking?

The term Benching and underpinning is used interchangeable when talking about the process of increasing the height in a basement but they are different. I believe for every inch of height you want to add you have to add 1" to the width of the footer (12" height =12" footer width.) for bench footing
I don’t believe you can determine if you have a benched footing if a small curb is present, though it is certainly an indication.

No. Underpinning has to do with foundation reinforcement, not changing heights of basements. Look it up.

I believe benching has to do with creating subsequent levels in whatever medium is being utilized.