Cut load bearing wall stud

A good issue to kick around here on the message board.

I did a pre-drywall inspection for a client and saw this. I know what i said, but was wondering everyone else’s thoughts. Beam support consists of 8 2x6s. In the conduit is low voltage communication wiring I think. You’ll see CSST and romex in the same area. Opening for conduit is 1.5 inches.

cut stud.jpg

Joe

Option 1: The code limits notches in load bearing wall studs to 25% (1.375" in a 2x6). In this case the notch is slightly over the maximum depth.

Option 2: Could be considered a load bearing column. I would have to determine if the remaining capacity is acceptable for the applied load.

In your position you get to make the call, but I would take option 2.

1.5 is too big. 1.25 is ok.

If you mean 1 1/2" deep, the notching would exceed 25% (1.375") of the width of the stud.

Is it a notch or a bored hole???

The code:

IRC R602.6 Drilling and notching–studs. Drilling and notching of studs shall be in accordance with the following:

1. Notching. Any stud in an exterior wall or bearing partition may be cut or notched to a depth not exceeding 25 percent of its width.

2. Drilling . Any stud may be bored or drilled, provided that the diameter of the resulting hole is no more than 60 percent of the stud width, the edge of the hole is no more than 5/8 inch (16 mm) to the edge of the stud, and the hole is not located in the same section as a cut or notch. Studs located in exterior walls or bearing partitions drilled over 40 percent and up to 60 percent shall also be doubled with no more than two successive doubled studs bored.

If you are doing a Code Inspection as a minimum don’t forget.
Preface of IRC.
This comprehensive, stand-alone residential code establishes a minimum regulations for one-and two-family dwellings and town-houses using precriptive provisions.

I would agree with Randy on his option 2 and the picture also seem to indicate that there is another bored hole for a romex wire in conjunction to the notching that was done.
Depending on the load and whether or not the multiples were added to compensate for the notching exists, I would refer to the Architect or engineer that designed the loading supports. :slight_smile:

there had to be a better way to run that cluster flub…

There is usually always a better way Jim, this one was to convienient in lieu of what we call planning and coordination of the trades. :):wink:

Ya think ??..no cure for stupid partner…just no cure…

Here’s a better look at it.

[FONT=Verdana]The issue is this: is the stud notched OR bored? If it’s a notch, it cannot exceed 25% of the stud depth. The opening clearly exceeds 25% so a code violation exists. If it’s a bored/drilled hole, it cannot be within 5/8" of the end of the stud and it clearly is withing 5/8" so a code violation exists. **Either way, whether drilled or notched, the opening is not compliant in my opinion. **[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana]2006 IRC R602.6 Drilling and notching–studs. Drilling and notching of studs shall be in accordance with the following: [/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana]1. Notching. Any stud in an exterior wall or bearing partition may be cut or notched to a depth not exceeding 25 percent of its width.[/FONT][FONT=Verdana]
[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana]2. Drilling. Any stud may be bored or drilled, provided that the diameter of the resulting hole is no more than 60 percent of the stud width, the edge of the hole is no more than 5/8 inch (16 mm) to the edge of the stud, and the hole is not located in the same section as a cut or notch. Studs located in exterior walls or bearing partitions drilled over 40 percent and up to 60 percent shall also be doubled with no more than two successive doubled studs bored. [/FONT]

120711 031.JPG

Joe

What type of load required so many 2x6 studs?

Looks like one of those big 2 story living room walls.
I bet the builder has an engineer that will crunch the numbers to say its fine. Its a complicated area since it serves load bearing and stability functions for that wall full of windows. I would recommend obtaining an engineers letter on that.

Like Bruce said, 2 story great room wall full of windows. This is the best picture I have of it. Support in question is at left side of far left window. Part of it supports the header above the lower windows and part supports a header above the 2nd level windows. A lot of wood to replace.

120711 030.JPG

120711 030.JPG

120711 030.JPG

bump.

If they would have only used metal all the holes would have already been there for them.

What is the distance of “grade to the window sill”? Over 60 inches? Under?

Nobody has answered your question about “is it a bored hole or a knotch”, because we cant believe you are actually asking it. The answer is, you have both in close proximity to each other, which depending, could be an issue.

The question was rhetorical to illustrate that whichever you think it is, it’s wrong either way. :roll:

Update: feedback from the buyer.

County inspector said the code only applies to 2x4 studs so it is OK. (B.S.)

The builder replaced the column anyway. (Why, I don’t know.)