Exposed Tension Bolts

This is the first time I have seen exposed poured concrete tension bolts on a single family home. There are several more exposed on the other side of home. What’s the general rule with this?

Thanks

P1010166.JPG

Personally, I’ve never seen, or heard of, tension-rods being used in residential applications. If these are permanent (and actually in tension), they should be protected from corrosion.

Tension rods were first used by a company called Dywidag, now known as DSI. In early development, tension rods were drilled or inserted into hillsides and used as a temporary means of anchoring shoring prior to concrete placement.

The concept evolved into all types of cables, rods and other PT systems.

http://www.nachi.org/forum/showthread.php?t=23659

Although they perform similar functions, PT cables and tension rods have different applications. Cables have much greater tensile strength, and are most commonly used in PT concrete applications.

Tension rods are rarely used to reinforce concrete, and are more often used as anchors of some sort.

Jeff,

This tension rod, cable, bolt thing is all new to me.
They do not have those here in Massachusetts. We love our basements.

Thanks guys. The whole house is another “Scud Crud Let’s Call Erol Special.” Chimney flashing is wrapped around the chimney like Christmas decoration with not one sliver under a shingle. :mad:

P1010177.JPG

Erol,

How you you honestly call that chimney flashing?:roll:

That’s a chimney skirt which does nothing for the chimney or the penetration.
What a joke.

Because it’s protecting the middle of the chimney. :smiley:

Just curious Erol, what makes you believe this rod was in tension?

Erol,

Can’t tell for sure but there might be step flashing underneath.

They went to the trouble of cutting the flashing into the brick and it makes not sense to do that if your doing a crap job.

Any evidence of leaks?

flash.jpg

Erol, That skirt is hiding the masonry joints that were never tooled. ha. ha.
It’s a Hula Hawaiian chimney. :smiley:

As that tension rod if that is what it is, I would have to agree with Jeff, and I am like Dave, glad I have a basement.

I have come across what Jeff is describing, on too of our jobs, we were undermining an existing footing and those rods were drilled and anchored in the ledge. We called them rock anchors.

Marcel :slight_smile: :smiley:
</IMG></IMG></IMG></IMG>

Never seeing these anchors in residential before, I assumed that’s they were for post tension. I didn’t even start report yet. :wink:

Does this mask an underlying construction issue?

Yea, the bricks themselves under this flashing are protected.

I would have loved to be there when they were installing this skirt.
“Ahhhh…excuse me, but what are you doing to the chimney”?headbang.gif

:wink: :wink: :freaked-: :ack: :nosy: :wha?: #-o :lol: :lol: :lol:

Reinforcing perhaps, but PT is very unlikely. . .

I’ll explain more if needed after my inspection. Gotta go. . .

Too cut down on confusion for some this is the exposed end of a partially protected post tension tendon.
The majority of our foundations are PT and we often come across grout pop out or absence.
These should always be written up when seen in this or worse condition.

Let’s say they are just bolts and about 2’’ is exposed. Is that something to write up? If they’re bolts the ends would have to be exposed no? :neutral:

I wouldn’t be too concerned with bolts sticking out of a slab, other than the tripping hazard they may present.

Jeff, do you have any suggestions for sources for inpectors wanting to educate themselves further?