Fastener photo quiz: which are acceptable for most metal connectors

… for joist hangers, beams hangers, rafter connectors, A-35’s, Hurricane clips, etc.
Which fasteners are OK to use? It hasn’t changed in a long time.

I’ll give this quiz some time, then post the correct answer on this thread

hanger nails- comparison.JPG

I pick the roofing nails Kenton.

I think I’ve seen them all used, at one time or another…
these names come to mind when looking,
“Sinkers” Penny-Nails" “Ring-shanks” “Roofing nails” “Galvanized”,etc.

But the question was “which are acceptable for** joist hangers, beams hangers, rafter connectors, A-35’s, Hurricane clips**, etc”

then I have to guess “sinkers, ring shanks, and roofing?”

Interesting that there are so many different answers.

(Joist hangers, beams hangers)

1.  HD galvanizes or Stainless steel?

2.  Inside or out?

3.  Around body of water?

4.  Which type of wood?

Just in general, what you’re going to see in an attic or garage.

Oh, so now he makes it easy for us! :twisted:
The only ones I ever nick my head on, and see are the roofing nails…:roll:

That’s true, what’s really needed is a fastener head by flashlight quiz.

Only one roofing nail in the bunch, Brian.

4 and 5 are actually called joist hanger nails (in some areas commonly called Ticos). Number 1, 16d sinker is often used on cross nailed joist hangers. I’d tell you the Simpson number but I don’t have my catalog in front of me.

Dammit Kenton you ratted me out. :smiley:

Good one Brian! See if anyone picks up on it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksitzes http://nachi.cachefly.net/forum/images/2006/buttons/viewpost.gif
*(Joist hangers, beams hangers) *

1. HD galvanizes or Stainless steel?
2. Inside or out?
3. Around body of water?
4. Which type of wood?

(Quote: Just in general, what you’re going to see in an attic or garage.)

Will the builder around here do not use them.

I can’t tell, if it doesn’t come in a coil or a strip I don’t recognize it. LOL

Don’t use metal connectors? At all?

Approved fastners for the standard application of hangers.
Using this one could match with the nails on Kenton’s picture.
Hope it helps some. :slight_smile:

I think 4 and 5 were called truss nails by Nibco (?) back when you could get perforated truss plates commonly. I think we used mostly 4"x8" mostly with a lot of nails per. I used a lot of those as a kid building trusses for campground canopies, late 60’s early 70’s. Back then you could get cold dip galv. fasteners too. I still have some 16D-60D kicking around for keepsakes. They would go in but not come out.

It’s 1-4-5

#1 is a 16-penny (16d) vinyl-coated sinker. Easily recognized by its big checkered head.
#4 is a 10d hanger nail
#5 is an 8d hanger nail.
Both 8d and 10d hanger nails are easily recognized by the numbers cast into their heads (see photo). It’s often hard to see the number, but you can almost always see a bump of some kind.

#2 is a galvanized spiral nail of some sort.
#3 is a ringshank, stainless steel alloy for fastening siding.
#6 is an 8d vinyl-coated sinker. While these are technically not correct, many metal connectors have been fastened wtih these and I’ve seen building inspectors look right at them and not bat an eye.
#7 is a gold deck screw.
#8 is a roofing nail.

Fasteners for metal connectors usually fail by withdrawal or by shearing. In shearing, the metal alloy from which they’re made and the diameter are both crucial. I suppose fasteners like roofing nails might lose their heads before withdrawal occured.

Sometimes framers use a gun which shoots hanger nails. Unless they use a guide, they often miss the holes and shoot right through the flange of the connector. This is a defective installation.

Also, you may see many joist hangers with the bottom two nails left out. If you’re in CA or CO… they’re probably mine. Hey! it’s a long way down there (we did all joist work from above, never a ladder for piece work). Anyway… never, ever had one called by a building inspector anywhere, so call it a defect if you want, but…

Hangers can be one size under- 2x6 hanger for 2x8 joist, etc., no problem.

hanger-acceptable nails.JPG