foundation.

Some one tell me what is wrong with this picture.
I would like to discus it further.

Robert,

Unsure what you are fishing for but I will bite. It appears that in the depicted picture a vapor barrier is installed on the basement wall warm side. Which is fine provided that the barrier is permeable. If it were a true vapor barrier and not permeable water vapor would then become trapped between the barrier and insulation and could lead too a mold condition. Glad we don’t have basements in Florida.:wink:

Full height insulation is not required to meet the minimum code requirement - on new construction in Canada.

Mark is correct - I have often found that this detail coupled with a well sealed vapour barrier over top of the insulation tends to trap moisture inside the insulated foundation wall system. That is often visible during the inspection process.

In most areas of Canada, the insulation only needs to extend 24" below the exterior grade line, to meet the minimum code requirement.

This is one of many examples of why home inspectors need to take/study building science courses.

Mr.Tyson I am looking for an explanation that will help me understand why foundation are built this way. I have see seen so many examples of like this. I am hoping it will help instill a solid understand to myself and others.
Yes a fishing expeditions of a kind. I will post more every now and then. I thank every for getting involved.

Hi Robert,

Some good information here.

That is where the Drawing in the first post came from…

Yes, I know----:stuck_out_tongue:

now u do. :cool:

Thank you. Building sciences are key. Thank you all. Dale thanks.
I have witness this action of frost all my life working. Last year -28 highs on a job. Did not know how to explain it technically. I’d like some more chatter on the MB about building science. I like more involved in my narrative.

Great opening thread here.
Now all you building science fans please give me an opinion on how you would comment on this open wall and what you would recommend ? (Basement unit)
Floor is open due to a cracked drain.(ignore that).

Assume nobody is going to do anything from the exterior.

[ATTACH]

[/ATTACH]

Explain BOB why not exterior repair. I hypothesize its part of the problem…

Per your first post.
I said Condo right?
Now next time I know when I say Robert do not look left you will.:slight_smile:

Moisture will always go through the brick.Foundation is bottom half of that wall in case you do not know that.

Now once again tell me what you recommend for the interior wall.
Insulation?
Moisture barrier?
If insulation what type? and also if a moisture barrier does it go on the inside of the insulation or the outside?

Batting or spray foam?
Will a chemical sealant help if applied to the brick?(dry loc)?

Should the drywall be any special type?
Should there be a airspace of some kind?

Comment: Hypothesis: foundation drainage system is damaged.
Comment:Hypothesis: Brick facade: Brick are old and lost the ability to shed water effectively.
All residential building ( even century homes ) had drainage.
Hypothesis from photos: Buildings foundation is close to grade. Windows are the clue.
Brick wall is wicking moisture or absorbing moisture.
Recommend: licensed foundation drainage company do an evaluation on the drainage system.
Recommend: Brick masonry company do necessary repairs to brick and masonry bedding of brick-walls where necessary.
Replace all spalled or damaged brick, re-point all areas of concern in masonry bedding.( head and butt joints ) To pay attention to the starter courses for extensive damage due to prolonged moisture intrusion.
waterproof exterior wall after repairs have cured for the allotted time.
Recommend job-oversight during all periods of the repair, or restoration by a qualified government registered business, licensed, insured, CHI.
BOB I can go on with more of an explanation if you need help. Remember I am new at narrative.
The assumption of the exterior is incorrect.
I would be all over that defect and looking for all deficiencies in the roof system, wall system and the foundation system and drainage.
There is more here than meets the eye going on.
Again I am hypothesizing.
It screams problematic condition to me.

You did not answer a single question I asked Robert.

The brick will always have a slight moisture content but they did everything you suggested. Now answer my set of questions.

BOB I have taken my time.
I see not posting of condo.
Even if I did.
Condo at grade level with the photos you have introduced to the MB can have a fire wall, foundation drainage issues can be addressed from the inside and all my remarks are hypothetical as to what has been posted.
I take no offense in your manor.
I will next time :mrgreen:
We are only personalities as created by the imagination in our own minds about the people posting and answering comments on the message board.
Its other that instaiil a negative outlook from the start and post them for all to see can become contagious…
I have explained myself before and who I am.
People seldom see the cause, just its effects or the symptoms of a problem.
Humility and respect being are our biggest players over the internet.
I learned yesterday through great anguish about my comment.
Lets walk with dignity please. We all learn from our mistakes.:slight_smile:

:twisted:So that is a yes for insulation?

Great answer.:slight_smile:

Great opening thread here.
Now all you building science fans please give me an opinion on how you would comment on this open wall and what you would recommend ? (Basement unit)
Floor is open due to a cracked drain.(ignore that).
I recommend a repair.

The sentence structure assume no one is going to do anything can be interpreted in several manners.
Sorry I do foundation leaks BOB.
I am a mason so by say assume no one is going to do anything.
***/UM/E
Si I get the word game if it fits the individual then you misdirect. Not be funny here nor condensing.
Every one wants short answers to what can be a very long explanation.
IE: I bought report to view for my narrative from Nick. 138 page report on 2 STORY DETACHED. UNDER 16 SQFT. I could be mistaken…
Keep it short you are told, yet example tells you different.

Robert you are a Mason but what was your original post about?
If concrete or brick can be made water tight what is the point of post #1?:slight_smile:

You give an imposable outcome.
The brick moisture content is to high, Abnormal.
Wall can not be repair until moisture problem is solved.
Venting the interior wall might be an option but I am hazarding a guess.
assuming.
Building sciences are needed in this industry.
Sorry I can not answer a unquantifiable question.