Insufficient Structural Support in Attic?

I called out insufficient structural support in this attic space, what do you guys think? It’s 16’ 2x6s on 24" center with a 1x6 at the peak… no collar ties, no vertical support…

small.jpg

small.jpg

Depending on the roof pitch and rafter span vertical support may not be required on all roofs, but you are correct the rafters are over spanned. Assuming a live load of 20psf and the rafters were SS Douglas fir (looks to be #2) the max. span would be 14-4 for 2 x 6. The ridge board must be no less than the depth of the heel cut of the rafter and collar ties required in upper 1/3 of rafter spaced no more than 4 feet on center.

Because rafters are over spanned back to your first observation they need to be supported with pulins

Any noticeable sagging at exterior view?

I don’t see a problem.

Collar ties are installed to prevent uplift and many, many homes have been built without them. I don’t see missing collar ties as a problem. Rafter ties are much more important. They tie together the bottoms of opposing rafter pairs where they rest on the wall to keep the ridge from sagging and the exterior walls from bowing out.
A 1X___ ridge was standard for many years. The ridge board depth Mark mentions is a building code that a lot of homes will not meet because it was enacted after they were built.

I was a carpenter for over 30 years, but I never do any calculations for an inspection. I look for signs of failure and comment on whether I see any. If it’s an old house and doesn’t comply with modern codes but shows no signs of failure, no problem. If it’s new, it should be code compliant, but don’t state that it doesn’t comply with codes.

I don’t see a problem with recommending additional support, by a qualified professional, to maintain structural integrity. Often, failures occur suddenly and catastrophically. Geographic location can make a difference, too, e.g. snow load, etc.

Admittedly it is hard to determine from a picture.

I agree with Kenton.
We are Inspectors and not structural engineers.

Deck spans are one thing but with the roof structure other factors such as slope come in to play.
Trying to figure this out in a general home inspection could be compared to trying to calculate duct runs for heating and cooling or loads on individual branch circuits.
Tell me guys doing on site reports are going to be that sophisticated and spend that kind of time .
You can not report a issue without a reason why and this type of reporting goes beyond most of generalized training.
If you are already a Structural Engineer then use your specific training but otherwise do not report a concern without a reason.

Zach, how did it feel when you walked on it? That is kind of a big span.