It's wierd, but it's not moving

This thing was built against and over a cliff. 4 floors high, never completed, abandoned for at least 2 years. Non-typical framing. It was a strange configuration, and kind of scary, especially walking around that upper deck (plwood planking). Funky-looking, but very solid, no sign of movement (30 years), no plans or engineering.

"No sign of foundation or framing failure or movement, old and weathered, appeared generally serviceable but it’d take an engineer to know for sure. Qualified plumber, qualified electrician.

No CO ever issued, permit expired, research carefully permit and jurisdictional requirements for completion before the expiration of the Inspection Objection Deadline".

My main concern was how it was anchored to the ground/rock. I couldn’t confirm that it was fastened. I think it was just resting on the poured concrete footing. That seems bad… but it hasn’t moved in 30 years.

Interesting, Kenton. I just know you recommended evaluation by a structural engineer! BTW, can you post some info on those log home, straw home, etc. inspections? We see a few log and underground homes in this area, and I’d like to become more knowedgeable and comfortable inspecting them.:wink:

That porch looks pretty scary Kenton, especially that cantilevered portion of the high deck and the background deck does not appear to have any kicker support.
Do you think they were able to pin that concrete piers to the ledge?

Weird looking is probably an understatement.
I would have wanted an evaluation of structural integrity on that one too.
Or, at least a second opinion.

Must have been a good write up on that one. ha. ha.

Marcel :slight_smile:
</IMG>

Ken, so now you are inspecting this house for a buyer that wants to finish it and move in? What happened to present owner? passed away?

Jimmy, the most up-to-date versions of those articles are on my website http://www.peaktoprairie.com/ Look about an inch from the bottom of the menu and you’ll see Log Home Basics and Strawbale Home Basics.

I did recommend SE, but I was more concerned with what it would cost in plans and permits. Because no CO was ever issued, the permit was expired and 30 years later, it’s a different game. These kids thought they could just waltz in and finish it, which may be true unless they get caught by an inspector and are forced to do it legally.

It was scary Marcel, and a long way down. I went out very slowly, bouncing as I went. You know, scary as it looks, it was rock solid. Handrail was kind of loose and the deck had plywood strips for planking. I was stepping above joists even though plywood turned out fine. One of the few homes with a roof I didn’t walk.

Good question about how it was fastened to the rock. A point I mentioned in the report. Determining that exceeded the scope. This thing took me 4 hours as it was…

My understanding was, it was started by an architect in 1977. It looked like it was someone’s dream home, since it was fairly unusual. They found enough money to buy the land and start the project, mostly finished the top floor and moved in while they worked on the rest of it. Did it as money came in and after a while stress took it’s toll… divorce and project abandonment…

Typical of people who read Mother Earth magazine, believed everything they read about how easy and romantic it would be. Walking around that place you could almost feel the process. Pretty sad. Someone put a lot of thought and energy into that home and never got the satisfaction of seeing it completed. Actually well-built.