Knee wall add on supporting joists

Here is a picture of a structural knee wall built against the foundation supporting the floor joists. The foundation steps up (under the green hose pic) due to exterior grading. Therefore the builder put this knee wall in to keep the floor joists in the rancher level. The knee wall width is exactly the width of the step up in the foundation wall. My concerns are : The knee wall is not built on a footing it is built on slab. No double top plate. Perhaps, some future concerns regarding moisture wicking into wood components.

Has anyone seen this done like this before? Everyones thoughts are appreciated. So spill the beans, cheers!

PICT0116 (Small).JPG

PICT0166 (Small).JPG

PICT0171 (Small).JPG

As long as it’s not carrying a bearing wall I wouldn’t worry about the lack of a footing. If it is… I’d recommend an SI. To be honest, unless there’s a point load in that area, if it were my house I wouldn’t worry about it unless there was a big load and a thin slab.

The bottom plate should have been treated, but unless there’s a chance it will really get wet, it’s probably not a problem.

Double top plate is cleaner framing, but joists stack over studs so this isn’t bad.

I don’t see a problem either, but the ideal condition would have been a brick shelf bondout in the foundation to accept the floor framing.
Also, was it noted about the exposed bead board insulation. That is a flammable product. :slight_smile:

Thanks Kenton and Marcel. Your great advice is appreciated.

Marcel do you recommend that foam board insulation on the foundation to be covered with drywall? I have never seen it covered in any crawlspace in my area.

Most jurisdictions let it go unless it is in a habitable space.

Around here, yes. The IRC requires it and most jurisdictions will require it all dependant of accepted Fire Codes for the area.
Your area could be different.

All foams require thermal protection equal to ½ inch of gypsum wall board when installed on the interior of a building, including a crawl space. The only exception is Celotex Thermax
polyisocyanurate which may be installed without a thermal barrier where approved by the local building code official.

Canada might have different requirements.
Let me know if you find out anything on this subject for your area. I am curious.
:):smiley: