Knee wall not properly supporting floor joists

Inspecting a 3 story house built in 2000 and I came across some framing that didn’t look right to me. I thought the knee wall 2x4 (for lack of better wording) vertical supports should be installed directly underneath each floor joist and not nailed to the sides. Thank You In Advance

DSCN9320.JPG

DSCN9328.JPG

DSCN9319.JPG

In advance of what?

Your 2 cents maybe, thank you in advance or Nothing I guess

Not enough info in those pics to warrant my 2 cents, so here’s a half cent…

Looks like ‘balloon framing’ utilizing an improperly attached ledger board for the floor joists.

That’s it.

Perhaps next time a question in the first post would be appropriate. -X

Not enough info in those (poor) pics to warrant my 2 cents, so here’s a ‘half-cent’…

Looks like ‘balloon framing’ utilizing an improperly attached ledger board for the floor joists.

That’s it.

Perhaps next time a question in the first post would be appropriate. -X

Floor joists secured to vertical studs and what appears to be a ledger underneath. While it may not be to local code or it may in fact be allowed the question is is it functioning with no discernible failure. If it is functioning and has been in place for some time write it up as not to modern standards but no movement noted. If it has moved, telltale shading difference at joints or obviously out of level, splits etc. then it has failed and needs a structural engineer to access for correct repairs needed.
Many old school local builders became building inspectors in the past and would pass anything they assessed as likely to work out. Didn’t have to be pretty just had to work.