Removed load bering wall

Inspected this raised ranch where they removed a wall and added support system in the attic. They added a beam above the joists and secured it above to the rafters. I know this is sometimes done but I am unsure if this is adequate support or if it was done correctly. I did not find any wall/ceiling cracks or anything that would indicate any movement. I do think some of the metal brackets seem to me to be too small and I only noted nails (no through bolts) holding the system together. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Having been a framer since 1973, that doesn’t look like anything I’ve ever seen an engineer design. Looks like field engineering. :slight_smile:

Nope. Get that reviewed by an engineer or show me the engineered plans. One does not simply build their own truss system.

Definitly not Engineered from the components I see and more done by an innovative handyman.

I would call that out, especially in snow country.

Thanks for all your help.

Yep! That is what I’m gonna do…Nope!
Just state in your report that it appears structural defincent …And refer…
Bye!

Structural alterations observed. All structural alterations should have an engineering plan and an accompanying building permit with a final inspection by the local building authority. Client is advised to check with local building authority for the proper permits to make this change and the final inspection sign off on them prior to close.

Having been a framer since 1973, that doesn’t look like anything I’ve ever seen an engineer design. Looks like field engineering.

After lunch… on a Friday :lol:

Structural alterations observed. All structural alterations should have an engineering plan and an accompanying building permit with a final inspection by the local building authority. Client is advised to check with local building authority for the proper permits to make this change and the final inspection sign off on them prior to close.
This^

Yaw. Needs a couple of leeches, some bubble gum, and a rubber chicken.

Now there are point loads at areas not designed to support point loads and the conventional ridge is now- at least partially- a structural ridge, even though it’s not designed as a structural ridge.

Definitely a homeowner job. The old rafters cannot also support the load of the wall. Ask them to get the advice of an engineer.

I was a framer in CA for a long time too. In my truck, I used to keep a rubber chicken with a cord around it’s neck and a clamp tied to the cord. When I’d spot something really bad I’d clamp the rubber chicken to it. Some guys really didn’t like that chicken, but most of us thought it was funny. It really depended on how serious your mistakes were.

Sorry. I should have started a rubber chicken thread. Let that be a lesson to you!

Wrong in a lot of ways, but mainly in that they are trying to distribute the load to the middle of the rafters (the part most subject to deflection) when those rafters were not meant to support more than the expected snow loads for the region.

Any pictures of the inside of house under that area. Maybe there is a few columns strategically located under that beam and the purpose was to re-enforce the rafters. Nevertheless, this is amateur work!

Thanks David and also thanks to all who Posted the errors .
Many learn a lot from these post’s .

Great info thanks to all.