Roof Framing

The roof was falling in on today’s rehab flipper. Great framing in the attic.

DSCF0004.JPG

DSCF0007.JPG

DSCF0011.JPG

DSCF0009.JPG

DSCF0012.JPG

Wow! Nice find Greg. :slight_smile:

This sag appears to be caused by a broken truss that was installed during the original construction in 1997. Because of access I was unable too get a real clear picture of the truss fracture but the top cord of the truss was about 1-1/2" below the roof sheathing so the roof sheathing affectively is spanning 4’. Wonder where the AHJ was?

Wow! even 15/32" plywood would not sag that much in 4’. There must be something drastically wrong besides the broken rafter.
:slight_smile:

Marcel,

I wish the access would have allowed for a better picture. You would get a kick out of it. The roof sheathing is 7/16" O.S.B. the top cord was broken through. The attempted repair was with a 1"x 4" spf #2. nailed about 12" o.c. and did not even span panel too panel. I would like too see an engineered repair letter that specified that. LOL. The truss is 2"x4" top and bottom cord 6/12 pitch with a 3/12 vault clear span 40’

What do you think caused the failure Mark?

Damage truss during erection, defective truss, defective design?
Surely, it can’t be snow loading. :):wink:

fat man on the roof?

Hope he used his Type IIA ladder (375lb.rated):wink:

Surely, it can’t be snow loading. :smile::wink:

Marcel your killing me LOL.
It is never safe to assume but since you insist I believe it was from improper handling. If I take into consideration the sorry attempt to repair I’m going to guess the truss was flown into place with a single hook without the aid of a spreader bar to distribute the force and the strain on the top cord caused the truss too snap at a knot

:mrgreen: What no snow down there?

I know we are not supposed to assume nor speculate, but I always like to figure out failures. And you are most likely right, I have seen to many lifting from the top chord only instead of at a panel point where it is the strongest or a spreader bar which prevents it from folding on to itself and snaping the top chord. :slight_smile: