SE or no SE That is the question

Would you recommend a structural engineer based on this crack? The separation of the brick at the mortar joint was about 3 feet long. No other signs of settling…all doors and windows opened and closed good, no inside cracks at all, all the old caulk joints are intact & not separated, all trim is snug with no separations.

poll.JPG

Does the crack get bigger past the tree? Any deflection?

Any steel in there anywere near the crack?

Do you tie your left shoe first?:stuck_out_tongue:

OK, I got nothing.:wink:

Is that a tree in the picture?

After a close up detailed inspection of the object in question, I am positive that it must be something that may or may not be organic in nature.(8\)

Very nice

Get rid of the tree.It appears to be creating enough pressure on the brick veneer to crack the mortar joints.
A lot of people don’t believe that trees and vines can do such damage…but…they can.

Its Brick veneer. In most cases when brick veneer is cracked, it can be remedied by a mason/bricklayer. I vote for “no SE”.

They were bushes. Heres the reason I asked. I did the inspection. Noted it in the report to monitor for future movement. For whatever reason they sold the house 3 months later. The HI who did the inspection recommended they contact an SE. They called me. They called the SE and the SE said don’t worry about it and I said told you so. Just wanted to see what you guys thought and if you would have recommended the SE.

THX!