Securing Top Plate To Steel Support Beam

Does anyone have information regarding the required method for securing 2x6 top plates to steel I beams? Inspection this morning, the plates were not secured.:wink:

They are either bolted or anchored with powder-actuated fasteners. If they are bolted, of course, you would have seen the bolts on the underside of the top flange, assuming the steel was an I-beam. If they were anchored with powder-actuated fasteners, they may not be visible from below, but if you could see the top of the wood plate, they some should have been visible…

They are “secured” by some common nails driven into the sides of the top plate and bent over the edge of the beam!

Uhhhh, no. You didn’t say that. =)

Well, I guess you did. The two methods I described are the two commonly used methods. Bent nails, I don’t believe, are listed as among the acceptable methods. Are you sure they were not just for hanging Christmas lights or something?? ;))

I guess the nails kept the plate in place until the floor joists and upper floors provided enough weight to hold the plates in position. Probably won’t move, unless there is a seismic event. Did call it out as improper, recommend repair by…

The bent nails are for the original inspector to use to hang his/her jacket on while inspecting the rest of the home, But I guess it must have been a warm day.:smiley: :smiley: