High sulfate soil deteriorating concrete

There is a class action suit in the making involving thousands of homes. Supposedly the builders did not do soil tests to detect high sulfates, and therefore did not use type v concrete. I have heard of this problem in California, but this is happening in the phoenix area, on old farmland. Any body have sources for info on this problem. The most informative web site I can find is by the lawyers doing the suit. I have realtors calling me about this. I also live within a mile of the affected community, called Maricopa Meadows. Thanks for any input.

A structural engineer I know (and did an inspection for) says high sulphur or similar content. I asked a soils expert and he had a different answer “the contractor should know to put visqueen under driveways and walkways”

There are areas here where even just a couple years after construction you can see the block walls, driveways and walkways teaming with efflourescence that will likely spauld, and importantly, the finish will degrade significantly in the next decade.

While this is bothersome and of detriment… I’m more troubled when I see the visible stem walls of homes that have this “defect” as well. Chunks of not only spaulding stucco finish from the homes, but chunks of concrete as well falling off of the home.

But, the rest of the home looks “pretty good” :-). Where else can you find such a bargain for a 5 + 3.5 that needs a “little work”

Unfortunately, vapor barrier under a slab just doesn’t exist in the phoenix area

Really? No 2 inches of sand and visqueen under living space? Hmm.

I was mentioning that the SE had proposed that driveways and walkways should have sand and visqueen under them as well… that may be taking it a lil too far, but, ripping out concrete is expensive too.

As far as a reference with problem soils and spaulding/flaking/efflouressence on concrete surfaces, it would be nice to have a reference on that.

I’ll have to look around.

Found you a link Daren on the subject;

Interesting to know.
http://www.lmcc.com/concrete_news/0801/protecting_concrete_from_sulfate_attack.asp

Marcel, thanks and Interesting find. Seems the direction of the Concrete Industry/ready mix co’s is to alter and likely increase the charges for their products… This should likely be done in combination with the addt’l prep needed to combat this problem.