Suspicious Trusses

I don’t like the look of how those trusses are held together.

Any concerns? Thanks!

They are two separate trusses. They really don’t need to be held together. The OSB will stop lateral movement. It is not pretty but I see no issue with this.

I agree they are two separate trusses because of their bearing location, but they should have been attached to each other by design.
There is a differential discrepancy on the height due to wrong location causing an uplift in the roof sheathing.
It is not right and were meant to be nailed together.

All and all, it sure looks like one weird truss layout.

I think someone should be arrested for impersonating a carpenter.:wink:

Thanks for your prompt response!
This is what I reported in my report:

**Investigate: ** We suspect that the connection between from and rear of house trusses is not proper, but because they are separate trusses supported independently we don’t anticipate further movement. We recommend you consult an engineer specializing in roof truss design to further investigate this condition and provide repair recommendations.

They were probably designed to butt each other. Because of the gap there will likely be a noticeable height difference that might affect the appearance on the exterior. It is likely not a structural concern, just cosmetic.

I agree with the others. No need for an engineer’s opinion. They are set on a common bearing point…a little sloppy, but not really a concern.

They are actually not set on a common bearing point and the work is sloppy.

I recommended an engineer specializing in roof truss design to further investigate this condition and provide repair recommendations for when client decide to sell and another inspector reports major repairs…

How can they not be on a common bearing point? Please enlighten us.

It appears, looking at the bearing, that one truss bears down on the girder truss and the truss in the aft of the photo is either bearing on a hanger on the top side of the girder or goes down and bears on a hanger on the bottom of the girder. Thus the comment, different bearing points.

The gap and the plane differential is clearly shown on the other picture.

And some pics from the afternoon inspection, it was trusses day!

I think that they drank the beer and then attempted to repair the trusses…

Wonder why the scabbing of the rafters and added chords.
Good beer, anyways.

They sistered another piece of wood alongside. There was about 10 of them damaged. I think that a few twisted damaging the metal connector and the snow load took care of the rest. After a few beer they became engineered and added some cords here and there…

Not quite an engineered fix that I am accustomed to seeing. But the Molson would explain that. :stuck_out_tongue: