I think we need an SE

Toady’s inspection, 200 year old farm house/barn. Very little upgrades in the last 40 years, tons of deferred maintenance.

Tough inspection, almost 4 hours, but interesting to say the least.

Skip the SE and go straight to the bulldozer referral…

Aw come on Will, a good flipper can fix it all up like new on the surface, spend 20K, do it in 6 wks and walk away with a bundle :roll:

On second thought, yep, dozer referral.

Paul

Hi Peter,

I know NH is full of old farms, but that place looks just like one I did a few years ago in Ossippee, where was that??

Regards

Gerry

This one was in Nottingham, been in the family for years and has been rented for about the last twenty.
The family hired me to do a complete inspection to see where they’re at and how the should proceed, my recommendations were this
1 get an electrician asap
2 hire a structural engineer
3 call a roofer
4 call a plumber
Place was in rough shape, one of the toughest inspections I’ve done to date but I enjoyed it.

PS, report is 43 pages with 65 photo’s

Would have walked away. Maybe laughing.

Pete
they should call that builder in Acworth who buys beams & board etc

Referral to an Antique Dealer would have taken it off the property for nothing in salvage of the wood boards and Beams. Those are worth far more than the money paid for an inspection that is basically the same result. Tear down.

No inspection required, just take it off the property. Of course the client would be left with the tipping fees for disposal of what the Antique Dealer did not want, but that is negotiable. ha. ha.

Marcel :slight_smile: :slight_smile:
</IMG></IMG>

Marcel
there are a couple of companies around here that will buy beams,floor boards,mantels etc just like the wonderful state of Maine and especially my favorite up in the county & the same here lots of barns, potato houses falling in

It is a shame Dennis to see all these buildings fall apart, but I think here and there is the fact the younger generation do not want to work as hard as we did or or parents.
It is a shame.

Marcel :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

I agree Marcel, when I was younger there was a road here at the time it was just 2 lanes the land was you know pasture & milk house etc, the grand father then the father passed the KIDS sold everything now the rd is 4 lanes & with all the malls around all the kand gone

Once they’re gone you can’t get them back. I like to see historic buildings saved whenever possible. They can be kind of like the USS Constitution… limited original wood, but you still get that feeling when you step aboard.

Kenton
I agree all that hand work making boards, beams, pegs ,etc and in your neck of the woods must be good amount of cabins

Not like some of the old homes you guys get to see back East, and not nearly as old. Mostly old miner’s cabins here. 1870 is old. Posts pop up occasionally about homes built in the early 18th century in Eastern cities.

Here’s another of those posts:

How I eventually go into the home inspection field.
In 1980 (the year I started my insulation/airsealing company) I bought a circa 1800 post and beam house that had not been lived in for a few years and was let run down for about 30 years previous. Needed a new foundation and 2/3 main sill replacement for a start. All I had done in construction up to this point was build roads (survey, x-sections, quantity take-offs, test concrete, asphalt, aggregates, etc), wire houses for about 2.5 years and work in energy efficiency/conservation and wood heating for about 2 years.

With the restoration/energy efficient renovation about 3/4 done, I decided to take a job that necessitated a move from the area. The extended farm family I bought the house from bought it back from me on a handshake deal (the same way I bought it!!).

As I started asking questions of local carpenters, I got a variety of answers to the same question…which led me to start researching. Within a year some one asked me to have a look at another old house they wanted to purchase and the rest is history. In 1984, I bought the company I have now from an engineer and engineering technician who had hired me for a couple of consultations on litigation they were doing.

Report only needed to be one page on letterhead - Tear down and salvage the timber from the building.

You may wish to contact your local heritage society for direction. They maybe able to put you in touch with local craftsman who can rebuild the barn. In my area there are Menonites who relocate barns and rebuild them.

I’m not even sure any of those TV shows would try to tackle taht one…not even Mike Holmes!!

LOL…but that’s nothing a 5-gal can of gas and a match couldn’tfix…