You Make the Call

Well, does it need further evaluation?

First picture in the kitchen of a slab on grade condo. Second picture about 4’ away in the hall under the carpet.

By the looks of the floor tiles its an older condo, if thats the only damage, I would advise repairing the crack and putting a new floor on top.

Steve

Obviously, the lab was poured without proper control joints for contraction control, and the floor finishes were installed quicker than the concrete slab had time to shrink.
Later, this is what you see and where it cracks, no one knows unless it is controlled properly.
Repair the broken tiles and patch the shrinkage cracks, and that is about all you can do.

Marcel

1979 condo, drainage is a possible concern. The crack under the vinyl is offset, if you look close you can see it. The crack in the hall is bigger than shrinkage, heck it is as bit a Lincoln’s head. Outside on the stem wall there was some wierd signs of repair that did not photo well.

Not seeing the whole picture is hard to comment on a subject as of the such, due to all the variables involved.

Shrinkage and wildcracking is only one of those variables.

Concrete PSI, reinforcement, slump, air, placement temperatures, and finishing are all other factors to consider. Then there is the geotechnical aspects of bearing soil capacities, type of soil, expansive soils, compaction of fill, slab poured half on ledge and half on fill, etc.

As you can see, there are a lot of circumstances, and these little pictures only say a few words.

I would recommend an SE to further evaluate, and go from there.

Marcel

I’d say these are more than “shrinkage” cracks.

There are several other factors I would consider before calling in Curtis Coombs (our resident SE :wink: ).

If it’s isolated to the slab, I would simply recommend a general contractor for repairs to the floor covering and patching of the concrete. If there is transfer to the footings and/or walls, then an SE or GeoTec may be in order.

More info Brian, more info :smiley:

I sure hope someone gives you a hard time for lifting the carpet like they did on my crack house…sheesh. :wink:

Brian, was that your penny, or did you find it under the rug??? (did you keep it???)

The kitchen crack was offset and the entire crack ran about 25 feet. On one side of the foundation there were signs of repair (my photo is not too good) the other side of the foundation was hairline. Part of the patio slab looked newer and was lifting. I recommended a foundation contractor or a SE.

That seems like a pretty good sized crack. The differential movement is the most telling sign when it comes to cracks. I would also be looking for signs of movement above the foundation.

I thank you made a good call!

Hi. Curtis;

My experience with these types of cracks, is that it starts with uncontrolled shrinkage and improper reinforcement to maintain it’s integrity. Not knowing if this is a regular slab on grade, slab on grade with a foundation edge support, or structural span slab, it is impossible to comment in the right direction as to what cause it or what the ramifications are to the structure above it.

Don’t you agree?
More info required. error! error! error!

Marcel :slight_smile: :slight_smile:
</IMG></IMG>

Todays patio slab:) And I found another penny.

WOW Brian, are you lucky:mrgreen: . and a perfecly good screw driver?:shock: wait a minute, did they use the screwdriver to make the crack in the slab:-k ??? you better take that away from them before they do more damage:-;; .

Another “Charmer” Brian…:smiley: