Educational Course

Chicago NACHI Member, NACHI Education Committee Member, Mr. Will Decker, has authored and is providing ( free of charge ) an Educational Course entitled “Electrical Home Inspection Checklists”, to all NACHI Chapters.

This Educational Course has been approved for 6 hours CEU’s for both the State of Illinois and NACHI.

This Course is available, upon request, to all NACHI Chapters.

Chapters located in States / Provinces requiring Home Inspector Licensing, may modify the Power Point presentation to meet their
State / Province requirements.

Contact the Education Committee for further details.

I would love to see the course myself…:slight_smile: COOL…means I can trash the one I did…Not having to make one…PRICELESS…:slight_smile:

Hi,

That a boy. I’m glad to see the state to accept his course. I now it takes a lot to get Illinois to ok a course for CEU.

Way to go Mr. Decker.

Paul;

Any help of changes or updating or improvment is greatly appreciated. I hope this is the first of many. I am currently working on one, with the help of my Brother (engineer) and a master carpenter I know, on Sturctue.

Thanks

Will,

I am here anytime you need to bounce anything off me. Just give me a call anytime.

Paul;

Get the OK from Russ and I will send you the course.

I do not believe, Colorado has had an opportinity to make copies of the program , so Will, if you would , please make copy and forward. Requesting two minor typos be corrected first.

Thank you

Will, you’re amazing. Great work - again!

Your “Top Ten” Powerpoint, modified for this area, has been received well here.

Thanks!

Russ

Russ, would that be you?
It would be great to have a copy to present to our meeting places both in CDA & Boise; tell me what you need from me.

Thanks!

Russ

Russ (Meyers);

By Colorado, do you mean NACHI national?

Please be advised that the St Louis Metro chaper CP is also interested. Wants me to come down and teach. Also others are asking for copies.

What is the policy / permission, Oh High and Exhaulted one. :mrgreen:

Give me a call ehen you have a chance.

Will,

When and if I do get a copy I will gladly look it over and give you comments on it and so on.

As this material, the CD, includes all the test questions, and related answers, discretion must be used in providing the course free will.

The materials should be delegated, upon request, to Chapter Presidents, State or Provincial Educational Administrators, or other similar NACHI representatives.

Suggest all interested parties should contact the Education Committee for a copy of the Course.

This will be great to present, after Gerry’s Elect.I & II seminars in FL!

lol…no problem Russel…I dont need it for my chapter as I will take care of training them on electrical issues…just offered to Will to look it over and see if I had any comments on it…no biggie…

**Illinois Housing Development Authority
[FONT=Arial]401 N. Michigan Avenue, Suite 900
Chicago, IL 60611
(312) 836-5200 TDD (312) 836-5222

http://www.ihda.org

5.04 Electrical:

[/FONT]5.04.01: **The National Electrical Code, the local electrical code, and these guidelines shall govern all electrical work performed on new construction and renovations of existing buildings. Whenever there is a conflict in the requirements between the regulations, the more stringent requirement will prevail.

**5.04.02: **The electric service to each dwelling unit shall be metered separately.

**5.04.03: **The minimum electric service to a dwelling unit shall be 100-amperes.

**5.04.04: **All wiring from the main distribution panel through out the building shall be copper. Aluminum wiring shall not be permitted.

**5.04.05: **In existing buildings that have existing aluminum wiring, all switches and outlets rated 20-ampere or less directly connected to aluminum conductors must be marked CO/ALR.

**5.04.06: **Receptacles installed on 15- and 20-ampere circuits shall be of grounding type. Grounding-type receptacles shall be installed only on circuits of the voltage class and current for which they are rated.

**5.04.07: **All 125-volt, single phase, 15- and 20-ampere receptacles in the following locations shall have ground-fault circuit-interrupter protection.

1. Bathroom.

2. Garages and also accessory buildings that have a floor at or below grade level not intended as habitable rooms and limited storage areas, work areas, and other similar use.

3. Outdoors.

4. Crawl Spaces that at or below grade level.

5. Unfinished basements.

6. Kitchens. Where the receptacles are installed to serve the countertop surfaces.

7. Wet Bar Sinks. Where the receptacles are installed to serve the countertop surfaces and are located within 6-feet of the outside edge of the edge of the wet bar sink. Receptacles outlets shall not be installed in a face-up position in the work surfaces or countertops.

8. Rooftops.

**5.04.08: **All branch circuits that supply 125-volt, single phase, 15-and 20-ampere receptacle outlets installed in dwelling unit bedrooms shall be protected by an arc-fault circuit interrupter.

**5.04.09: **Receptacles shall be installed so that no point along the floor line in any wall space is more than 6-feet measured horizontally from an outlet in that space in every kitchen, family room, dining room, living room, parlor, library, den, sunroom, bedroom, recreation room. A wall space shall include any space 2-feet or more in width (including space measured around corners) and unbroken along the floor line by doorways, fireplaces, and similar openings. The space occupied by fixed panels in exterior walls, including sliding panels and the space afforded by fixed room dividers such as freestanding bar-type counters or railings.

**5.04.10: **Hardwired carbon monoxide detectors shall be installed adjacent to and outside of the main sleeping areas in all buildings serviced by natural gas.

5.04.11: In new construction and substantial rehabilitation, smoke detectors

Joe;

Interesting, but not really relevent to most home inspectors. You could not know this but, the Chicago Housing Development Authority is the local city / federal body that was responsible for such death traps and gang-generating mostrosities as Cabrini Green and other ‘projects’. They were (and still are, in some cases) that even the police will not venture inside them.

I certainly won’t and neither will most home inspectors I know.

You want to inspect it for electrical problems, be my guest! :mrgreen:

Hope this helps.

Illinois Announcment:

The Chicago Chapter of NACHI

**National Association of Certified Home Inspectors **

Presents

Electrical Home Inspection Checklists****

A seminar designed to provide information and guidelines to help home inspectors discharge their duties in a systematic manner

**Approved by the State of Illinois for Six (6) Continuing Education Credit Hours **

Date: Saturday, February 25th, 2006

Place: Holiday Inn, Hillside
4400 Frontage Road
Hillside, IL 60162

Time: 9:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m.

Details: Registration begins at 8:00 a.m.
Lunch will be served

Price: $25.00 for NACHI Members
$90.00 for non NACHI attendees

This course is available to all Illinois Licensed Home Inspectors. Non NACHI attendees may apply $50.00 of their registration fee towards NACHI membership ($289.00/yr.). Visit www.nachi.org for membership details.

Attendance is limited and will be accepted on a first come, first served basis. Register by visiting our Chapter Website at www.nachichicago.org . All attendees will receive an email confirmation of their accepted registration.

**Don’t miss this opportunity to sharpen your skills as a home inspector through a first class continuing education course and receive Illinois State Credit Hours!

Received the CD, Will - thanks!

Will:

Interesting. :mrgreen:

Back to the question. I believe that the following overrides the HI SOP.

5.04 Electrical:

5.04.01:
The National Electrical Code, the local electrical code, and these guidelines shall govern all electrical work performed on new construction and renovations of existing buildings. Whenever there is a conflict in the requirements between the regulations, the more stringent requirement will prevail.

Joe;

I believe that you miss the point. Each state (and local AHJ) has its own requirements. I believe, that as a matter of law, local AHJ requirements will almost always override any private national organization or association. And, in most cases, state law overrides local government laws.

Therefore, under the state law underwhich I am licensed and under the NACHI SOP (which defers to state law, as it must) I must defect things that, under grandfather provisions of local code are OK if they do not meet currently held construction standards with regards to safety.

Therefore, a huse built in 1990 but not having AFCI protection, I must defect as 'significantly deficient. I have posted the law many times here. Hve you read it?