essay

Randy Realtor called with a home inspection assignment for me. During the phone call Randy asked about my personal allowances on temperature differentials across the a/c coil. After farther discussion I learned that the closing would not happen if the seller had to repair or replace any air conditioning equipment. After informing Randy of the sop for inspecting and reporting indoor a/c coil temperature differentials and that I could not deviate from the standards I declined the assignment.

I don’t think Jeffery should decline the inspection. The buyer is the client, not the buyers agent or the seller. Just report the differential and let them sort it out.

I don’t think Jeffery should decline the inspection. The buyer is the client, not the buyers agent or the seller. If the agent wouldn’t hire you because you refused to overlook a deficiency, report him to the local board of realtors. Just report the differential and let them sort it out.

Robert, you cannot help anyone here with “Can You Help Me With My Homework”?

Everyone, with integrity, wants to do their own work and learning. :roll:

How can he possibly write anything.
I count five grammatical errors in the two sentences he wrote.
Maybe it’s a scam from Nigeria. :wink:

Read it again. Definitely Russian. A Russian Bot, that’s what.

Jeffery,

You appear to be located near San Antonio so I expect you are preparing for training to obtain your Inspector license in Texas? Greater San Antonio - InterNACHI®

You are correct TREC and the State mandated SOP requires you report on cooling system differentials and not doing so would result in potential big problems for you. However you should get with an experienced Inspector and see how they handle this less than technically correct reporting requirement. A good Inspector can help you learn how to play the reporting game to help your clients and keep you out of TREC’s crosshairs.

We know this is a writing assignment for an INACHI course and does not really mean how you would actually respond to this call or even how you would handle the situation overall if you did inspect and report “TREC mandated differential requirements”. However you should also review Section 535.220 of the rules as you have a better out for this situation that a flat out refusal. Inspectors are not allowed to discuss client information which would include contractual information such as final agreed upon performance standards among just about everything else you discuss with a client as it belongs under that “inspection results, client information” etc. category.

Your actual and proper out for these situations should be a simple thing as advising the Real Estate Salesperson that you have confidentiality laws and would be happy to discuss client matters with the potential client but not the RE Salesperson. RE Salespeople are not required to follow our rules and only those with actual integrity would not attempt to place you in that situation. The truth is it will not matter how you handle that question, or others they will most likely pose, as you will not answer it to the satisfaction of the RE Salesperson and would be passed up for the referral anyhow.

If the RE Salesperson wants to refer you to their client the RE Salesperson with integrity would do just that and send their buyer to you without interfering with your license requirements. Otherwise they are just fishing for the Inspector that will perform to their requirements/standards and not the one you are required to follow.

Bingo. A heavy handed realtor attempting to control the home inspector.

It matters not if the home closes, for this is not our concern. Nor is it the purpose of the inspection. Ninety nine percent of the time, I have no idea if a customer goes through with a sale. The exception is when they call me again for the next inspection.