InterNACHI releases new FREE online "How to Inspect Septic Systems" course today.

Is it 8 or 4 hrs of CE credit? The certificate says 4 …the description says 8.

" The student’s (InterNACHI member’s) information is recorded on InterNACHI’s servers for membership compliance verification, and automatically logs completion into InterNACHI’s online Continuing Education log. It counts as eight InterNACHI Continuing Education hours."

Drop Ben an email.

I had the same problem on a 16 hour course that printed as 4.

He took care of it.

I have not looked at it yet and hope it does not mention a dye test…

The dye testing was developed by banks as a way of putting liability on someone else it is not the way to test a septic system.

Save me some time here, does it have that in there?

It’s 10. I’ll have IT correct certificates on Monday. Thanks.

Hi. Nick.
I just took the course yesterday and the test today and the certificate stills says 4 hrs, but the log does say 10 hours.
I think this course was well put together and my experience in installing septic tanks and leech fields in the past, I am sure reflected the 98 I received.

I think what would help for some in that course is a picture of a longitudinal cross-section of a septic tank and an absorption field.
Since that picture is in my mind, it made it a little easier.

I guess this one was easier for me than the WDO course, for I haven’t passed that one yet. :mrgreen:

Thanks for another job well done in supplying us with these educational courses.

Inachi rocks in education. :slight_smile:

Fixed. Thanks Marcel.

Thanks!! Nick

The course is designed for home inspectors in particular.
After taking this course, you’ll be able to provide an additional service.
And charge for it. $

1/3 of what’s required to perform a septic inspection is already being done by residential home inspectors.

What the course describes is called a MAINTENANCE INSPECTION. That particular type of inspection involves what a residential home inspector already does (inside the house) and includes additional inspection techniques (outside the house).

A maintenance inspection (designed for home inspectors to perform) requires visual-only, non-invasive inspection techniques.

You can do it. Check it out. http://www.nachi.org/septic-course.htm

Ben,
The first sentence of the first paragraph in section 7.2 has a typo…

“through a slid rigid pipe” (Should be “solid”)

Section 8.1: Second sentence of the 5th paragraph (Inspect the Baffles) reads: “The will break if they are hit with an instrument like a shovel.”

“The” should be “They”

In the third paragraph under “Do not pump first”, the second sentence doesn’t make any sense: “If the water level inside the tank is above the outlet invert and the liquid level is less than the full depth of the field aggregate, then there may be a blockage. Pumping the tank may not necessary initially. The cause of the blockage needs to be determined and corrected.”

Third paragraph 8.3, Second sentenced: “Depending up the use…” should read “Depending upon the use…”

First sentence, first paragraph 8.8: "Treatment tanks must be pump on a regular basis to ensure proper functioning. "

“pump” should be “pumped.”

Section 10.3 First paragraph of** Corrective Measures that May Be Recommended:** "There are corrective measured that may be recommended in an inspection report. "

“measured” should be “measures”

Your Results

**Congratulations!  You've passed this exam with a final score  of  	*100*!**  Below is your unique session code.  This code will help us verify your  score if the need should ever arise, and if you're  taking this exam within the context of an online course you will need  your unique session code to finish that course.

Hi, Mark –

Thanks for your eagle eye in spotting those six typos in the course, which are now fixed.

I’m working steadily to go through each of our courses and articles to proofread and copy-edit them because they benefit from another set of eyes besides the original authors’. We appreciate your input!

And congrats on your final exam score!

Mark, no one scores 100. Are you in the septic biz?

I’m in the septic inspection biz…

Nick,

[FONT=Verdana]Thank you for the Septic Course. In Texas we do see these on a somewhat regular basis. Not sure I want to do that much of a test to involve pumping the tanks, but great information on what it takes to perform this test. You have prepared me to respond to questions from clients with more information now. I might keep referring this detailed inspection on to another contractor.

I really like the suggested report comments and forms. This course is definitely worth the time to read through.

I would like to know if you have more information on “Grease Traps” and The a sprinkler systems tied to systems as a drainfield/absortion area.
Such as what lines should go to the grease trap? Only kitchen? And is it a health department required reporting if that lateral line is spilling out of the ground? i.e. untreated. I would think so since it could be backflow from storage tank?
Also, sprinklers tied to timed release or excessive flow. How to test this function and is it supposed to smell? What is the minimal size lot needed?

Are there any rules about the grey water termination point?

Thanks again I enjoyed the course.
I did pass with a 100 percent so I understand the material presented just need more info on these components.

Rodney Livermore
www.1stinspect.biz [/FONT]