How to Perform Residential Electrical Inspections

I’m trying to work through my educational requirements here on NACHI and am looking for some clarification on connecting grounding systems to the ground.

The following is from the training:

There are several methods of connecting the grounding system to the ground, with a driven rod being the most common in most areas. Most residential construction requires two separate grounding electrodes in any combination of the following (which need to be at least 6 feet apart):

• driven rods;
  • metal water pipes;
  • well casings;
  • Ufer grounds;
  • ground plates;
  • steel framing; and
  • ground rings.

In my own home, I can only see where there is one method used for this grounding, which is using a driven rod. The house is 12 years old and I don’t see where a second method listed above was used. How would I go about identifying what that second method is if I can’t readily see it? Any help much appreciated. If it can’t easily be determined, can anyone tell me which method is likely used here on the eastern seaboard? I’m thinking a ground to the well, but not sure how to tell.

Thanks,

Steve

any of the above , Can not find it then, System Grounding not visable.

I believe the 2 rod requirement showed up in the '99 NEC. Many times it takes a year or two or more for a jurisdiction to adopt the new version if it is adopted at all. I would bet your home was built prior to the change or adoption.

I would venture to say that most training is developed with the newest codes in mind but that does not mean they are in effect in your area. You would be hard pressed to try and enforce a code that is not recognized by your jurisdiction.

Hi,

I don’t think I was clear enough in my original post. Anyhow, I was more interested in knowing how to easily identify the different methods used other than the use of a ground rod. Is it just a matter of seeing an extra copper ground coming in to the bottom of the service panel, even though you can’t see where it may be coming from, just to know that two methods were used?

Please advise,

Steve

Copper coming into bottom of panel tells me the size wire used .

99% of my inspection I have no idea where it ends .

( So system ground not visible ) I move on ,

I try to talk soft write Hard write hard and miss nothing … Roy

I just spoke to the county electrical inspector here in Wicomico Cty, Md and he said that it has never been a requirement to have two of the grounding methods per the NEC. He said that the second requirement is only required by the NEC if the 25 ohm resistance requirement can not be met. If a second earth ground is put in and it can’t meet the requirement either, then no further action is required.